When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning (ugh) Schwinn White Enamel Wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Robert Troub

I live for the CABE
Ugh, I hate cleaning these...any advice or tips, other than soaking in Evaporust ?
I realize the enamel is coming off, just trying to spruce them up a little...
Your advice is appreciated

IMG_20220831_114149561.jpg

IMG_20220831_114103218.jpg

IMG_20220831_114149561.jpg

I had luck with schwinn white enamel rims with pins in an Oxalic Acid bath. The scrubbing action is what will kill the pins. With an OA bath there is a lot less scrubbing and basically dissolves the rust without abrasion. You have to watch it with some things though because I have found that you can leave it in too long on parts depending on age, paint condition, rust amount, etc. What I like to do too is while the piece is in the bath I will take a soft toothbrush and in areas where there is more rust it helps speed up the process to lightly knock off the layers to help the OA work deeper. It tends to not like deep rust which will require longer soak periods which might cause damage to paint/decals that shouldn't soak as long.

I haven't experimented with this yet, but I assume if you brushed on petroleum jelly, or the like, may help protected areas for longer soak exposures while only targeting areas that need it. And then just easily wipe off after. Just a guess...

Lots of OA talk on here.

Last edited:
Oxalic Acid bath would clean those up real good. look for "wood bleach" at your favorite ACE hardware store. I plan on doing a set real soon.

What year Hornet is yours? The only reason I ask is because most Hornets with S2 rims are built on straight bar frames, not cantilever frames.

Last edited:
Back