When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning unknown gunk off of paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Major Taylor Archive

I live for the CABE
Started cleaning my recently scored Elgin. On the truss rods, the top tube and the seat stays there's a hard black tar-like substance that is not coming off. I don't think it's actual tar but I'm not 100% sure...Any ideas ?
Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 6.33.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 6.33.25 PM.png

Thanks guys, I think the pictures are a little deceiving. It looks like rust except it's more black than the pics show. It has a texture and it's on top of the paint, not coming through it. I'm resisting the urge to scrape it with something. I don't want to damage the paint obviously.

might be mold/mildew. Almost everything in my shed gets that stuff on top surfaces. try scrubbing bubbles first?

I would probably try Goof Off if it were mine, but use caution as you can remove paint if you're not careful.
If you want to try something less harsh first, maybe try simple green.

MAYBE you could try some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover on a small inconspicuous spot. Don't remember if I've used it on a bike or not, but I've used it on the car and it didn't hurt the paint.

Back