When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Up a Raleigh Sprite 27

-

AndyA

Wore out three sets of tires already!
A friend dragged this bike out of the back of the garage and asked me if it was possible to get it back on the road. She was skeptical, but I said "It just needs some cleaning up. It's a Raleigh; in England they leave them in the rain!" It was purchased in White Plains, NY in the early 1970's. I'm in the midst of cleaning it up and it will need a few tweaks (new tires, new shifter cable, and various adjustments) but I remain optimistic about the project. That's got to be one of the best head badges ever!

A clean and lube, and It’ll be good for 50 more years. Check the cones in the front wheel, I’ve seen way more than one with bad bearing surfaces.

Ted

A clean and lube, and It’ll be good for 50 more years. Check the cones in the front wheel, I’ve seen way more than one with bad bearing surfaces.

Ted
Cousin Ted:
Good advice. I took a look and lubricated them. There was something that I hadn't seen before: one cone had flats on it as usual to fit a cone wrench; the other had no flats. Are you Raleigh fans out there used to that arrangement? So I tightened up the non-flat cone against its locknut using a small crescent wrench, then I adjusted things with the regular cone.

Yes, that is exactly right. BUT, you have to get the wheel in the fork the right way!!!! The wheel cannot be reversed, otherwise the cone will self tighten, lock the front wheel and pitch you off the bike. There is an excellent description (better than mine) of exactly how this all works on Sheldon Browns website in the English bicycle section. Make sure you understand it before you tighten everything down and go for a ride.

Ted

Raleigh ready for the road. New tires, new rear shifter cable, new (cushy) seat, new sparkly green handgrips, new rear reflector. Plus a bit of tinkering. I'm going to print out the poster for the owner.

Back