When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning up White rims , how do youa'll do it?

-

spleeft

Finally riding a big boys bike
Geez does the urge to buy every old Schwinn on CL subside?? Just picked this '63 Typhoon white nice paint and white wheels... how do you'all clean the white rims up ??
'63 Typhoon just picked up.JPG

That is a tough one you need to be careful with the pinstripes. A lot of elbow grease and sore finger tips. The rims can only come back so much. Maybe someone knows a trick. I have been sticking to simple green. Careful on the pins you can't get them back once there gone. Remember that bike is nearly 55 years old , we do not clean up as well as we used to. And No it never subsides
eez does the urge to buy every old Schwinn on CL subside?? Just picked this '63 Typhoon white nice paint and white wheels... how do you'all clean the white rims up ??

if they are nice just use mild soap and a little elbow grease. Dont scrub too hard or pinstripes will disappear.

What about surface rust? Wont the rubbing compound picking the rust up be a problem?

A bath in an oxalic acid solution will take care of the surface rust and leave the paint alone.

A bath in an oxalic acid solution will take care of the surface rust and leave the paint alone.
You Like the Oxalic over Evaporust? Ive had various results with Evaporust so far. Mostly great results. I think a carefully timed soak time and full submerge are the key to best results.
Have you'all seen this vid?
bike rust remover comparison

I have more time than money so I buy a five pound bag of oxalic acid off eBay for about $15 which will make a lot of solution (compared to the 12 oz tub from Lowes for $8.) I'm still on a bag that I bought a couple of years ago and have more than half of it left.. Evap -o-rust cost about $25 / gallon at Harbor Freight so I use it sparingly. For breaking rusty parts loose, I use a 50:50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. And my trusty propane torch bottle.

Back