When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning White Wall Tires?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Phrank Vee

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone have a specific way to clean white wall tires? I just received a pair of 26”Carlisle Lightning Dart tires and besides using soap and water, are there ways to bring back the white on the tire? I just want to know possible solutions so I dont screw them up. Maybe even make them last longer and give them some life. Thanks for your time.

2309A515-7A17-4877-B8BE-4C0D06855BCA.jpeg

752AEAF1-DDB4-4035-8B3C-E3F4D8981AAE.jpeg

8A1C4D11-6850-494D-8BB9-8A9E4BA9D487.jpeg

Guess it depends what you're putting them on, perhaps a pic. To me they look fantastic the way they are! Just sayn'..

I left these as found. Almost too bright so I kept my hands dirty installing them.

DSC_0008 (2).JPG

Thank You!
Comet = bleach and SOS pads = ruining your raised lettering plus breaking the rubber open to worse conditions, unless you just want a quicky job.

No Bleach, ever it will make it dry and eventual get brittle and crack faster. A fricken steal wool pad will break the surface and open it to dry crack etc.
You need to use a product designed for white wall tires and keep it sealed.

You may never get it bright white again unless you do use rough stuff on them but it's better to live with it verses ruining the rubber.

Browning or yellowing is usually B/C of this: "Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming. It's a continuing process that can be prevented by thoroughly cleaning and protecting the tires."

In other points it's the black migrating into the white and or ultra-violet rays (Sun exposure). .

It can be permanent in any case where/when the tires are ageged. .

So, don't do the harsh tricks. Baking soda and vinegar can work, even just vinegar too, but vinegar is an acid and soda powder will break the surface of rubber too. In all the harsh tricks, your raised lettering will get its seal broke. Break the finish seal and U on U way to dryer tires fer ever.

So, U know? Get you a good automotive product; white wall tire cleaner and sealer, cross fingers and be happy wit results. 😉

Last edited:
Comet = bleach and SOS pads = ruining your raised lettering plus breaking the rubber open to worse conditions, unless you just want a quicky job.

No Bleach, ever it will make it dry and eventual get brittle and crack faster. A fricken steal wool pad will break the surface and open it to dry crack etc.
You need to use a product designed for white wall tires and keep it sealed.

You may never get it bright white again unless you do use rough stuff on them but it's better to live with it verses ruining the rubber.

Browning or yellowing is usually B/C of this: "Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming. It's a continuing process that can be prevented by thoroughly cleaning and protecting the tires."

In other points it's the black migrating into the white and or ultra-violet rays (Sun exposure). .

It can be permanent in any case where/when the tires are ageged. .

So, don't do the harsh tricks. Baking soda and vinegar can work, even just vinegar too, but vinegar is an acid and soda powder will break the surface of rubber too. In all the harsh tricks, your raised lettering will get its seal broke. Break the finish seal and U on U way to dryer tires fer ever.

So, U know? Get you a good automotive product; white wall tire cleaner and sealer, cross fingers and be happy wit results. 😉
Thanks for the thorough response!

Back