When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear Over Rust

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks you all for your input!!!

I do like the results from the linseed oil. Prior to applying I went over some rough spots with WD40 and 0000 wool, but not heavily. I washed and rinsed with Dawn then applied the linseed. I’m wondering if the oily finish has a tendency to collect dust and debris? My garage isn’t hermetically sealed!!! How well does the linseed hold up to a wash. Do I need to reapply if I take a hose and sponge to the bike??? I’m guessing soapy water will remove the linseed??? Maybe not???

I do like the results from the linseed oil. Prior to applying I went over some rough spots with WD40 and 0000 wool, but not heavily. I washed and rinsed with Dawn then applied the linseed. I’m wondering if the oily finish has a tendency to collect dust and debris? My garage isn’t hermetically sealed!!! How well does the linseed hold up to a wash. Do I need to reapply if I take a hose and sponge to the bike??? I’m guessing soapy water will remove the linseed??? Maybe not???
Do a search on YouTube, there’s a guy that made a couple videos that did his truck and show you how to do it what you have to do and how long it lasts. I posted that video here somewhere

When I rode an early 50s ex-military Triumph I used to oil a rag and wipe the bike down. It kept the surface rust in check and maintained the original paint nicely.

I had a friend who wanted to clearcoat over the finish on his badly weathered early 70s Suzuki. He gave it a clean, and dried it carefully so the clearcoat could stick properly and then headed in the house to get his rattlecan of clearcoat. Upon returning he found that one of the local seagulls had made a major contribution to the patina on his fueltank.

It coated well, lumps and all, and was still a topic of conversation several years later.

So while I can’t speak for the viability of clearcoat on an old army bike I do know it does a great job on seagull poop.

Hope this helps.

Do a search on YouTube, there’s a guy that made a couple videos that did his truck and show you how to do it what you have to do and how long it lasts. I posted that video here somewhere
I think I saw that pickup guy the other day as I was surfing for info in Google/YouTube.

When I rode an early 50s ex-military Triumph I used to oil a rag and wipe the bike down. It kept the surface rust in check and maintained the original paint nicely.

I had a friend who wanted to clearcoat over the finish on his badly weathered early 70s Suzuki. He gave it a clean, and dried it carefully so the clearcoat could stick properly and then headed in the house to get his rattlecan of clearcoat. Upon returning he found that one of the local seagulls had made a major contribution to the patina on his fueltank.

It coated well, lumps and all, and was still a topic of conversation several years later.

So while I can’t speak for the viability of clearcoat on an old army bike I do know it does a great job on seagull poop.

Hope this helps.
Years ago when I bought my first Harley a neighbor in my apartments didn’t appreciate my exhaust pipes during my second shift hours. He/She wedged slices of bread between my gas tank and handlebars such that the local bird population left quite a surprise on my gas tank the next morning!!! I wish I knew that clear coat trick then lol!!!

It seems the BLO that I applied dried after a while. Not sure about holding dust or how it holds up to the wash cycle. I live in rainy NW Oregon.......
Good luck, and nice ride by the way 👍

It seems the BLO that I applied dried after a while. Not sure about holding dust or how it holds up to the wash cycle. I live in rainy NW Oregon.......
Good luck, and nice ride by the way 👍
Thank you!!! It’s a Rollfast. Unsure of Year but general consensus is early 60’s. I’m trying to locate a serial number

Clearcoat is not the way to go.
I have used the BLO but dries out and you have to reapply frequently.
The best product that I have found and use for this application of preserving rust is Gibbs Brand Lubricant, penetrant, water repellent, multitude of applications.
Will not dry out, reapply after washing or cleaning.

gibbs01-600x600.jpg

Back