When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clearcoating over original weathered patina paint pros and cons.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
WD40 / various grades of steel wool carefully used and patience :)
These 2 bikes were in the same family / barn since new..........13 kids.
Before and after...............wish I'd never sold them.......out in Vegas now I think.

1.jpg

2.jpg

42 Roadmaster (2).jpg

IMG_1178.JPG

fiddling today with my 1947 Ladies the New World Lightweight. bike is not real rusted, but I guess just old dirt was covering it. I wish I had taken a before photo, but you could barely see this decal before I did the 000 steel wool... I used windex as I thought WD might remove the decal. started off very lightly and just a few seconds and wipe it off to see what it looked like. it was so dark I figured I had nothing to lose.

20230501_143844.jpg

It's going to get the Broke Bastard's boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits treatment. No more abrasive work, I know from experience with this bike that any more abrasive treatments including the finest grading steel wool will remove paint, and I am not willing to do this.

Will WD-40 and 000 steel wool bring back the color on my weathered Toyota?

View attachment 1831061
this is an example of a failed clear coat as paint companies experimented with new paint formulas to lower VOCs emitted into the atmosphere as the solvents evaporate. the color is still there.... try boiled linseed oil. that seems to be a popular fix around here for paint woe's. :)

this is an example of a failed clear coat as paint companies experimented with new paint formulas to lower VOCs emitted into the atmosphere as the solvents evaporate. the color is still there.... try boiled linseed oil. that seems to be a popular fix around here for paint woe's. :)
For the restoration on that piece, I was thinking mop and Glo. Maybe two or three coats?

Back