When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLEVELAND BEVEL GEAR CHAINLESS SHAFT DRIVE LADIES SAFETY BICYCLE (What Year Is It?) - It's Almost Done!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$3850.00
Zipcode

mike cates

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
CALLING ALL CABER'S to identify the year of my CLEVELAND LADIES CHAINLESS BEVEL GEAR SHAFT DRIVE BICYCLE manufactured by the H.A. Lozier Co., Cleveland, Ohio. I only have Cleveland catalogs back to 1894 so it must be earlier. If you have a catalog and can post a photo of it, especially the porcupine hubs, that is appreciated by all of us! Also did It have wooden or metal rims as these were missing when I got the bike many years ago.

Older restoration started but never completed. Frame and forks are in gloss black automotive enamel paint and all other parts are nickel plated as originally done.

I have the nickel plated handlebars somewhere and am looking for them.

Missing are: direct pull spoke barrels(porcupines) in hubs, rims, spokes and tires that will complete this rare shaft driven bicycle.

It is the complimentary match to the Man's model of the same year.

Note, the staggered holes in the original hubs that are approximately 3/16" diameter. This is similar to a Columbia direct pull porcupine hub but the original porcupine barrels from this bicycle are missing They would not be a hard part to make by using a 3/16" steel flat head rivet that could be cross-drilled for the spoke diameter and counter sunk for the spoke head. Thanks to Tim Elder for pointing out the obvious to me as I over looked this possibility completely.

This bicycle would have 28" diameter tires front and rear.

The seat is uncommon with the lateral or transverse flat spring and is unique in it's design.

Bike is dusty from storage and is waiting for YOU to bring it back to life.

$3850.00 plus shipping cost.

I ship world wide and have a 100% POSITIVE SHIPPING RECORD for years from my buyers.

I can pack in regular bicycle cardboard boxes OR make a wooden crate and only charge for the plywood, 2 X 2's and screws to make it. I DO NOT CHARGE an additional labor charge to do this.

I can get shipping insurance if requested and this cost will be added to the total cost.

Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201 Voice Calls Only and I DO NOT TEXT.
Email: [email protected]

DSCN5618.JPG

DSCN5619.JPG

DSCN5620.JPG

DSCN5621.JPG

DSCN5622.JPG

DSCN5623.JPG

DSCN5624.JPG

DSCN5625.JPG

DSCN5626.JPG

Last edited:
I would say the bike is around 1900 maybe01 Cleveland also had there own style ball end spoke. Much larger ball than Columbia. Very unique seat set up.

David,
Thanks for chimeing in on this topic. Hopefully someone has a CLEVELAND catalog or photos showing the correct spoke set-up. At a point in time some years ago, I was going to take metal balls and put them in a 5C collet in a lathe and drill a clearance hole through the ball and countersink one end to accept the head of a spoke. Once assembled, it would look correct and function as a one piece spoke with a large ball end as you say CLEVELAND used.
Hopefully more will reply on this and we get to the solution as to what the answer is.
I appreciate you narrowing the date down to 1900-1901 which makes sense for the era of shaft drive bicycles being popular along with other makes like: League, Columbia, Clipper, Pierce, and more that made all this type of gear driven machines.
Mike Cates, CA.

Last edited:
I also have two extra original CLEVELAND head badges for sale so see Sell-Trade: Pars, accessories, ephemera forum for details.
Mike Cates

An ebay member nameed Racer2 from West Virginia is replying to my ebay ad for this Cleveland bicycle but I cannot successfully reply back to him through ebay.
Does anyone know his email address or phone number so I can answer him?
Thank you,
Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201 No Texts Please
[email protected]

Did you put you email or phone in the message?
It’s not allowed any more
Need to be creative

One of ways to creatively get in touch with people on EBay is to list the bike locally on Craigslist.. That way he can search the city you are in and exchange contact information..

Back