When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding Co. Roadmaster

-
Pics

Also I plan on taking some comprehensive photos before I begin work on the bike. Does anyone have any suggestions of things to be sure get photos of?
Every angle you can, details of pin stripes and darts if doing the paint. Can you provide the serial number?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll have serial number to post tomorrow. I just got home from college and I need to dig the bike out.

I located the serial number yesterday. It is: C04254

I also went over all the fasteners with PB Blaster to help everything get loosened up. Unfortunately I think I may have been remembering the bike through a rose colored lens as the chrome pieces are rougher than I remember. The rims are especially bad. I'm going to try a few things on them and see if if they can be saved. If not I'll start looking for a new set. Originally would the wheels be chromed or painted?

Last edited:
Chrome cleaning

I located the serial number yesterday. It is: C04254

I also went over all the fasteners with PB Blaster to help everything get loosened up. Unfortunately I think I may have been remembering the bike through a rose colored lens as the chrome pieces are rougher than I remember. The rims are especially bad. I'm going to try a few things on them and see if if they can be saved. If not I'll start looking for a new set. Originally would the wheels be chromed or painted?
You can save some pretty nasty looking surface rusted parts and rims by using a light brass bristle brush and a rust killer. Once you have turned it into oxide with the rust killer go after it with 0000 steel wool and light oil. Same with the spokes and hubs. Last clean them up with solvent and wax 'em. If you think the rims are original to the bike look inside and see if painted or chrome. They are probable drop centers if original. Phil should be able to shed more light on this.
Brad

Well yesterday I started to tear into the bike. The photos below are the starting point and where I ended up. Also note that the odometer is dated with an ink stamp that has somehow survived all these years. June 24, 1946! The handle bars and rods were darn rusty and looked terrible but, they actually cleaned up pretty well. It looks like there may be some hope for the the rims.

RmasterStart3-1.jpg

RmasterStart4-1.jpg

RmasterStart5-1.jpg

RmasterStart6-1.jpg

RmasterStart7-1.jpg

RmasterStart8-1.jpg

RmasterStart9-1.jpg

RmasterStart10-1.jpg

RmasterStart11-1.jpg

RmasterStart12-1.jpg

Phase1may2322-1.jpg

Phase1may2323-1.jpg

So far things are going smoothly. Only one screwed up bolt. The mounting bolt for the kick-stand is stripped out so, I'll have to locate a replacement. Later on today I'm going to tackle the front fender and chainguard and then pull off the rear fender and tray.

I noticed that the chain guard doesn't have an open back when viewed from the left side...nice touch.

Back