When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

-
I think there's more numbers after the "J20" but they're faint and hard to read.
Yeah, I tried to scrape the area, but honestly it doesn't look like there is any more under there.
I'm not convinced that there aren't more, but I am hard pressed to reveal them.
I hesitate to sand more off but I guess I just may have to.

Yeah, I tried to scrape the area, but honestly it doesn't look like there is any more under there.
I'm not convinced that there aren't more, but I am hard pressed to reveal them.
I hesitate to sand more off but I guess I just may have to.
I'm not sure sanding would help. You've got enough to tell the year, that's the part that interests most people. I'm guessing the frame matched the fork before someone painted it.

Am I just tired or is it not possible to edit my post? I swear I can't find the link to edit it.
I wanted to add this to my montage.

whizzer history.jpg

Here's a 1958 Skyrider that someone converted to a stationary exercise bicycle. I bought it for the wheels, but there's a couple of interesting points about it. First, the headbadge is painted instead of a riveted plate, this is the first time I've seen that. Second, the serial number starts with "H" and is on the bottom bracket. Back in post #458 I said I hadn't seen a 1958 with the serial on the bottom bracket. Well now I have.
So now it looks like the 1958 and 1959 serials ("H" and "J") can be either on the left drop-out with a letter and a six digit number, or under the bottom bracket with a letter and a five digit number. My best guess is that the two different types of serials were used in Cleveland and Little Rock, and AMF was producing bikes both places during those years. But it's only a guess, if somebody has good evidence otherwise, post it - you won't hurt my feelings.

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG

So based on the crank, compared to other bikes in this thread, and the chart this frame, B14910, is a 1937 (with lots of other parts on it now).

20210419_084213.jpg

20210419_084216.jpg

20210419_185546.jpg

Im submitting my "angle-iron-cruiser" for this list. I believe this to be an original 1945 black-out model CWC as none of the normally plated parts appear to have ever been plated at any point and have a black hue to all of them. Ive dealt with ALOT of severely rusty bikes and normally there is SOME plating left somewhere but on this one its nowhere, even down to the headtube and bottom bracket cups.
The only thing on this bike that has any plating is the dust cover on the rear Morrow hub and it has held up well for the most part.

No CW stamp present near the serial number anywhere, D prefix. Relaxed curvature in the downtube....etc

CWCRUST.jpg

CWCRUSTSERIAL.jpeg

I'd love to figure out the brand and model. I think I have this narrowed down to 1940-41. Correct me, if I'm wrong, please. H62767
IMG_20210513_200257451.jpg

DSCN0356.JPG

Fender mounting tab on the fork.
IMG_20210518_070127994.jpg

This same arrowhead graphic is on the down tube, but very faded.
IMG_20210518_070147789.jpg

Pennant shaped graphics on the rear fender. One says Wake Forest. Another says South Carolina. Can't make out any of the other graphics.
IMG_20210518_070439318.jpg

Can that arrow head be pinned to a particular brand?

Back