When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

-
Thanks guys. I noticed what is left of the rubber snubber. I guess what concerns me is, the lower portion of the front end, with fender and wheel removed seems "sloppy" (lack of a better term) as far as movement. Is this normal?
Sloppy is pretty normal, especially on rebound. I've seen people add washers as spacers under the spring to take.up some slop

Slop was inherent in the early design, which relied on the axle to ensure that the forks did not move independently; i.e., left pivoting forward and right pivoting back, creating an un-commanded right turn,and vice-versa.

The later patent solved the problem by forging the two forks in one piece.

Sloppy is pretty normal, especially on rebound. I've seen people add washers as spacers under the spring to take.up some slop
Slop was inherent in the early design, which relied on the axle to ensure that the forks did not move independently; i.e., left pivoting forward and right pivoting back, creating an un-commanded right turn,and vice-versa.

The later patent solved the problem by forging the two forks in one piece.

Thanks guys, you hit the nail on the Head!!!!!!

Here’s a follow up from post#581,
Serial number on frame in as found condition.

1938 CWC Roadmaster Supreme,
Model 2226 after restoration.

Serial number after repaint.

A rough guesstimate, puts this one at the tail end of the “Y” frame type production.
Assuming that no “Y” frame types were produced in 1939?

Last edited:
20220309_175334.jpg

Very cool! Having a G on my serial means this is a 1957 when I thought it was a 1958 based on the features. Sure it could have been a late order in 57 but I have no idea if my serial is late since I don't know total production. Cool!

The chart is two possible year ranges on this one. No badge and I'm suspecting a military bike. Black out hubs with olive green paint remnants on rims and frame. Original color inside rims is red as well as frame. No tabs on the frame for a drop stand.

20220430_183338.jpg

1946 3 gill, no rear stand wings, could have been badged a Roadmaster with that sprocket but in those yrs who knows with shortages.

Back