When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Again another CWC serial number decipher that I'm guessing at.
Owner said this was a 1936.

Serial is J95284 ...no suffix stamping.

I've got the same exact bike/frame in a western flyer, cept my serial numbers don't even make sense. Regardless, it's based on a frame modification in 1938 and accordingly, the girls twisted heart chain ring appearing in 1940.

So, in all likelihood ya got a 1940/41. Plus I read that the 'chevron' rack is prewar.

Hippy 'flower power' stickers; circa late 1960's. Looks like your handlebar and gooseneck are 60's too.

Pinched, shoulder pads, whatever, it's a rare fork.

P9190395.jpg
P9190416.jpg
P9190406.jpg
P9190399.jpg
P9190400.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts Jeff.
Spoke to the owner again and he said the original owner bought the bike new in 1936. Said he wanted a step through girls frame for his easy dismount while doing his paper route.

Not sure what 1938 modification you're speaking of. And is the chainring posted on both bikes called a "twisted heart" chainring? Figured it would have a different name as ai don't see where the heart shape is. But what do I know. That's why I'm here!!

b5dd37fec61accd88de4d96cb1e93af5-1.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Last edited:
Ahhhh.... I see said the blind man!
Didn't see it before. And I thought I was looking closely.

Ahhhh.... I see said the blind man!
Didn't see it before. And I thought I was looking closely.

Yeah... I wasn't sure which ring you were looking at... so I deleted and went back through thread. ..but yeah you see it now...

Thanks for your thoughts Jeff.
Spoke to the owner again and he said the original owner bought the bike new in 1936. Said he wanted a step through girls frame for his easy dismount while doing his paper route.

Not sure what 1938 modification you're speaking of. And is the chainring posted on both bikes called a "twisted heart" chainring? Figured it would have a different name as ai don't see where the heart shape is. But what do I know. That's why I'm here.

Yeah well you're lucky it's actually an old bike, I can't begin to tell all the stories of people who'll swear on their family bible that are selling their grand-father's/grand-mother's, great, great, great pops n mom's junk that aint old. In most cases, grand somwbody died, but bought something at flea market or yard sale, and told grandma or grandpa, it's the same one they had as kid. But I tell ya 1; WW II famous person/book known by practically all. Anne Frank (1929-1945), museum recently had a show which ran all across America that included toy marbles she'd played with just before going into hiding. 80% of the marbles shown were made in the 1960's. The rest were clay and could have been made by the dam Flintstone's TV show or the real Flintstone's family. Go figure?

the hearts is right in front you nose.

As for the frame changes, page 3 or 4 makes the notes, but you'll have to decipher what the hell it means, lol.

Last edited:
Again another CWC serial number decipher that I'm guessing at.
Owner said this was a 1936.

Serial is J95284 ...no suffix stamping.

There are two additional separate stamped number (I haven't seen the stamped numbers yet), that are stamped sideways with the "5" above the serial and an "8" below the serial. Not clear if these separate numbers are of the same font as the serial.
I'll assume these are an owner registration number(s) such as the local police dept would do or maybe the factory assembler stamping from CW.

Has rear dropstand ears with no welding attachment process.
Earlier chainring.
Not sure about the rear rack, would this be a prewar rack?
Has teardrop pedals and possibly a "Jiffy" stand in lieu of the missing dropstand.
Screwed Roadmaster headbadge

Also has what I'm guessing is termed "Pinched Crown" front fork?

When were these "pinched crown forks produced and is it a clear prewar era identifier?

The attached picture isn't the best quality but it is all I have at this point.

View attachment 176471

Any help on deciphering the year is appreciated.

This particular fork was used very briefly right before the war, and very briefly after the war. The bike is definitely prewar but is a few years later than 1936. It was a long time ago and if somebody can remember something within 5 years, that's pretty good! The serial and the details lead me to guess it was likely a Christmas 1941 bicycle. Somewhere late '41 to early '42.

I agree. Memory can be a bit hazy for those from before the war. Hell my memory is hazy and I'm from the 50s...lol

Thanks OBI, Jeff and JP for the replies.

I will say that I thought I read all the pages of deciphered information and must admit I got somewhat confused.

It would be nice to see a prewar and postwar list of serial numbers / pictures of the CWC serial number chart.
Seems like some of you may have a list. ..or at least a good memory....lol

Again thanks and I'll pass the info onto the owner of this 40-42 girls Roadmaster.
Honestly, if I could get the bike it would be for the few accessories. ...rear rack, pedals, seat, kickstand.
I have no desire for the "Laugh In", "Love Power" flowers. Stripping another house painted bike is not one I have time for.

I am curious as to the design concept of the "pinched" crown or shoulders of the front fork.
Jason mentioned it was a short production run of these forks. Do you think it was just a different look for the bike or it actually had a purpose for these knuckles or humps? Strength in design possibly?

Last edited:
Back