When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I agree. Memory can be a bit hazy for those from before the war. Hell my memory is hazy and I'm from the 50s...lol

Thanks OBI, Jeff and JP for the replies.

I will say that I thought I read all the pages of deciphered information and must admit I got somewhat confused.

It would be nice to see a prewar and postwar list of serial numbers / pictures of the CWC serial number chart.
Seems like some of you may have a list. ..or at least a good memory....lol

Again thanks and I'll pass the info onto the owner of this 40-42 girls Roadmaster.
Honestly, if I could get the bike it would be for the few accessories. ...rear rack, pedals, seat, kickstand.
I have no desire for the "Laugh In", "Love Power" flowers. Stripping another house painted bike is not one I have time for.

I am curious as to the design concept of the "pinched" crown or shoulders of the front fork.
Jason mentioned it was a short production run of these forks. Do you think it was just a different look for the bike or it actually had a purpose for these knuckles or humps? Strength in design possibly?

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Yeah, this topic got off to a good start and then bailed. Transferred with or without the data base being built?? it appears that way, . Followed with people who were not including enough photographs. and made worse when replies are made without quoting the poster's query. Then too many who just jump in without taking the time to get through the 6 pages.

I've spent numerous hour attempting to decipher the dope that's here, it's not only too long, for the multiple posts that don't fit it's twisted too.

The topic would be better served if the corresponding photos about frames and serial numbers were matched with the serial letter/number base on its 1st page. Which would cut down the amount of people asking questions that are only randomly answered.

That fork, I've searched 100's and 100's of bikes hunting for it. there are quite a few similar, notably one called pinched and it's not yours. The 'shoulders' in the 'pinched' style varies. Heck, Schwinn proved what a kick buck fork it is invariably illustrating that extra shoulder support wasn't needed. So, yes, while they're made in varying styles, I'm confident it's meant for greater durability. Especially a ton better than hollow double or triple crown forks. Me tinks Schwinn illustrated that beautifully for a good 40-50 year. Perhaps they secured everybody's patents too.

Interestingly, after a massive hunt, this was the only one I could find:

1941 peaked fork.jpg

a 41 "restored" western flyer

http://cyclesensei.blogspot.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

photo2B1703792JPG-1.jpg

Moreover, with the brazed and smoothed joints, pinched forks, There's a definite appearance that Schwinn's future, was a knock off of pre-war CWC's bikes? Or was it visa versa? Go figure?

Last edited:
Picked up what I think. Is a 1940 CWC roadmaster - help on date? Am I right ?

image_zps1dcd5829-1.jpg

image_zps72a20415-1.jpg

image_zps3371498b-1.jpg

image_zps8386f186-1.jpg

image_zpsbbb9a3f9-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys! New member but not new to the vintage bike scene...I have 2 CWC frames I would like to identify.
One is A69466
And the other is G08748. Any help would be appreciated!
Also, Jeff54, I'm also in Ft. Myers! Would like to meet up and ride! Always looking for new bike friends.

Hey guys! New member but not new to the vintage bike scene...I have 2 CWC frames I would like to identify.
One is A69466
And the other is G08748. Any help would be appreciated!
Also, Jeff54, I'm also in Ft. Myers! Would like to meet up and ride! Always looking for new bike friends. ��

waz-sup homie? PM sent..

You know the drill?? photos!, frame, and a few different angles of some of the joints to see which is fillet brazed and or electro welded, and when ID-ing the serial numbers ya got go across right and left to know for sure whether there's a C with small w inside o it. Post war: . Cw, A Cw, 51 Cw, etc. normally found spaced on right after the first set of numbers near edge of crank case. .

also photo of drop out exposing all holes and welded joints.

Last edited:
Werd. I'll post pics as soon as I can! There is the W inside the C on both frames without any prefix letter. I believe one to be a 47 and the other I have narrowed down to what I think is a 48 or 49.

Werd. I'll post pics as soon as I can! There is the W inside the C on both frames without any prefix letter. I believe one to be a 47 and the other I have narrowed down to what I think is a 48 or 49.

To quote jpromo;

"CW pops up in three different fashions for three different periods of bikes. 47-49 looked something like this A69466 Cw. 50-51 were the years of like A69466 ACw. Then 52-56 are where the uncertainties end because the serials told the year point blank---like: A69466 52Cw with the year being 1952."

I used your serial number as the example. The small w will be located inside the C. Get some pics up, have fun.

To quote jpromo;

"CW pops up in three different fashions for three different periods of bikes. 47-49 looked something like this A69466 Cw. 50-51 were the years of like A69466 ACw. Then 52-56 are where the uncertainties end because the serials told the year point blank---like: A69466 52Cw with the year being 1952."

I used your serial number as the example. The small w will be located inside the C. Get some pics up, have fun.

51Cw exists and photographed within this topic Frank. So, ACw is presumed to be 50, unless or until it comes along.

some of the serials with just Cw have indicated a little bit of order, when what type of drop out is identified and the joints welded. so, some of the first letter in serial numbers can be sorted within a 2-4 year margin.

however as I said earlier and others,, it would be helpful if those who originated this, got e-mails and photos would have passed the gathered info and posted the refined order, since the first attempts years ago. .

I've attempted to discover some sense of order of this whole topic but there's to much posted without reference. A lot of incomplete information.

Last edited:
Okay, I've attempted to document each frame along with the serial stamp together in a photo colage for my own records. I'll dig back through my stuff and find that. Thanks, and totally agree on a more refined thread on CWC topic.

51Cw exists and photographed within this topic Frank. So, ACw is presumed to be 50, unless or until it comes along.

I have never seen a 51Cw; I'll have to dig through this thread and find that sometime. It's very possible they began that numbering method towards the end of '51. The number of ACw stamps compared to the pictured examples, numbering one, for 51Cw would not make sense with production numbers to consider that was used the entire year. I've got ACw stamps A-J, so the assumed cutoff between 1950 and 1951 likely in the E-F range.

Back