When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Every once in a while I see stray numbers stamped like this. The font appears different so I don't know if these are factory or not but don't think they hold much relevence. V/r Shawn

Every once in a while I see stray numbers stamped like this. The font appears different so I don't know if these are factory or not but don't think they hold much relevence. V/r Shawn

Ok, thanks for the input, figured as much.

Picked this up today. I'm thinking it's a 36. Any ideas? Number A10912

IMG_20190822_121210.jpg

IMG_20190822_151241.jpg

IMG_20190822_122334.jpg

IMG_20190822_151211.jpg

Thanks Harley and szathmarig...we were hoping for just a bit more information than that. Also, not challenging your expertise, but hoping for a better understanding of how you determined any information you share. Incidentally, the bike is shown exactly as it was when we pulled it from the barn.

We understood the rear wheel hub, from New Departure in Bristol, CT, Model D, is consistent with a 1930s date. We think the bike originally had a drop-stand based on the wings. The skip tooth gear is on a 6 spoke star patterned sprocket. Thinking maybe this is a "Frankenstein" of multiple bike parts. Is the design of the frame known as "bent tank"? Was there a tank on this bike originally? As far as the serial number is, we're very confused, knowing one company (was it CWC?) started the alphabet all over after hitting the letter K...But there is no characteristic CW found near the number, which is A10912, and if that wasn't enough to confuse us, we found the chart showing E serial numbers consistent with 1935 as year of manufacture, going backwards this would be 1931 unless it's the "restart" of the serial number use. We can't even figure out if it was made by Shelby, Huffman, Murray...or who. The bike it most looks like is the 1942 Elgin Tiki Cruiser by Murray. Torrington handlebars - company name? Style? We think the bike was originally green with black fenders with white designs.

Trying to figure out the best next steps for this bike. My thought is to do something as the photo shown if the value isn't significant, hubs has other ideas about parting out, selling as is, or restoring.

We can't read fast enough to find the information we're looking for, and appreciate any explanations as to how you arrive at your conclusions. Thanks in advance!
03674-030-BIKE__60723.1537830241.jpg

For CWC and many others you need to use the serial number charts in concert with a knowledge of the frame styles offered through the years. The bike looks legit to me as it sits. Missing a rear fender brace, dropstand clip, dropstand, and likely had truss rods. Are there holes in the front fender for a headlight? Just about all CWC prewar frames had the built in dropstand ears which is a way (most of the time) to tell its a prewar frame. It may not have had chain guard, tank, or rack if unequipped model. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Back