When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

-

AntonyR

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Since many of us have asked, and many of us has now or maybe had in the past a CWC built Roadmaster, I think it's time to start a List. If a picture/serial number list could be started and updated with new entries including frame characteristics, I think we over time could rebuild a serial number/date table to date pre-AMF Roadmaster. With this, we could possibly be able to date Western Fliers and other private label frames built by CWC. The ultimate goal would be to have this list added to the features box along side the Schwinn numbering link.

Last edited:
As I was replying to the Hawthorne question, a number of posts came in. I would love to see a CWC serial number data base built. I have been working on one for myself for some time and plan to put it up on a CWC website I am working on. I suggest that the best way to build a data base is to include several pictures of a bike, capturing the frame details much like Akikuro did and to photograph the serial number.

A photograph tells the story much better than just noting the number especially in the case of over-stampings and non alpha-numeric symbols

Obviously this is not always going to happen but as I have had a lot of people tell me a bike is CWC when it isn?t. I keep spurious numbers out of my data base by only adding numbers I have seen or have photographic proof for.

Phil

Phil, since you seem to have the most experience with keeping dates and S/Ns straight, why don't you take charge(or at least be a main contributer) to the proposed CWC Date Table? :)

Thanks guys for the great info. Being new to the hobby this is what really gets the juices going for me...the detective work that needs to be done to find out more about your bike. I get a better appreciation for it and maybe think twice about doing a full restore on it....

Thanks, I'd be happy to take the project on. I'll try to put some things together to build a framework for the project and post here early next week. (I'll have to stop answering questions for a few days and focus!) If anyone else has thoughts please post so we can get a good start.

Phil

Hi, I just wanted to check in and let everyone know I have been working on text and graphics for the Cleveland Welding serial number project. I am getting close to the point where I can upload some of this material, probably by late this week or early next week.

I have created a chart to document Cleveland Welding serial numbers along with other pertinent information about each of the bicycles listed. I have also prepared text and graphics that divide prewar CWC production into groups based on frame type.

In the mean time if anyone would like to add their bicycles and serial numbers to this list I suggest the following:

Photograph the bicycle and/or frame from several points.

• 1. A clear photograph of the bicycle from both the drive and off sides

• 2. A photograph of the bottom of the crank hanger showing any and all serial numbers or other marks. Include enough of the bicycle to show which direction, front to back, the numbers read. Also note your reading of the numbers and symbols; they are often hard to read even in a good photograph.

• 3. Detail photographs of the frame at junctures (in cases where these areas are not clear in the overall photographs.

• 4. Photographs of the fork, sheet metal and accessories in cases where the originality of these items is a question.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the most important to accurately build a useful list of CWC serial numbers. Generally a clear photograph of the bicycle will make it possible to relate the model and year of the bicycle to the serial number. This will also make it less likely that non CWC bicycles will slip into the data base.

Again, in an effort to build the best data base possible, I am requesting that legible photographs of the crank hanger are part of the listing process (This means I have a lot of camera work ahead of me). I have seen many CWC bicycles with several numbers and symbols on the underside of the crank hanger. Along with the serial numbers, charting the ancillary marks may lead to further understanding about CWC production.

I won?t list bicycles without a photograph of the bike. I will start the list with reported numbers to get it going but those numbers will be moved to a secondary list if photographic representation isn?t provided over time.

As I have a list of my serial numbers I will publish those first. I will add number as I receive them and update the list periodically. I have a column for ownership information if you would like that to be known publicly.

If you would like to be part of the list but wish to remain anonymous, you can send me information privately and I will only print the portion of that information you are ok with. I will extend this offer to the degree that, with documentation, I am willing to add bicycles to the list, sequentially placed, with blanked numbers if the owner so wishes.

The last point I will make for now is that my knowledge primarily revolves around prewar models, I have as much to learn about post war production as most anyone else. With documentation I will list any CWC-AMF bicycle serial number up to circa 1970 with the idea that patterns will arise to make dating postwar production possible.

Phil Marshall

Thanks Antony,

You can post submissions to this thread or email them directly to me at [email protected]

(I'm assuming at this point that entries will trickle in and not overwhelm the CABE).

Also, if you send information directly to me, please be sure to note if any of the information is meant to remain private.

Phil

Back