When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleveland Welding S/N Project...See Page 58 Post 576 for chart

-
Phil, I have the 37 Speed-badged bike noted elsewhere on these boards that you were so kind to give me info on. Do I still need to send you photos and info or can you get it off that post? Let me know...

Hi David,

The photos of the CWC Speed work fine for the general frame and detail photos, Please post or forward a photo of the underside of the crank hanger with the serial number (X12578) so I can add it to the serial number list.

Thanks, Phil

YGM- Pics

Ok Phil, I sent you plenty of pics of both the RM and the WF. Let me know if it came through all right, and if there's any close-ups or angles that I should add.

Hiawatha

I have a Hiawatha (Cleveland welding) bike that is identical to the roadmaster frames and forks (springer) the serial numbers are followed with a gap and the "53". the drop outs have adjusters and it does not have a skip tooth. 2 speed bendix rear hub (aviator). I am not sure if these items are all original and I know that pics would help. Just thought the offset "53" may be a clue.

Here are 2 CWC frames with serial #'s. I'm pretty sure the girls is post war maybe 50's but not sure about the boys.

My best read on the girls is B50914__588.
My best read on the boys is F64197.

P1010019-1.jpg

CWCB50914-1.jpg

P1010047-1.jpg

P1010050-1.jpg

girls looks late postwar, '49-50 ish, boys looks early postwar, or late prewar- seat/rear carrier/tank not original to that bike.

It?s great to see such a response for the call for serial numbers.
I'll add these to the growing list.

I believe both bikes posted above are postwar as per my reasons below.

I?m posting a couple of the pictures I have taken of my CWCs for the serial number project to see how they look. If these work I have a few more ready to upload and then it?s back to the garage for more photos. I also have about 40 prewar serial numbers charted but I am still formatting that information so it will post legibly.

I also took the picture of my one postwar frame and ghosted the front of a prewar 3-gill over the top. This shows the most obvious change, the curvature of the down-tube

Regarding pre and post war differences, I don?t have literature that definitively charts when changes were introduced. By the time CWC was producing Luxury Liners it appears that most of the postwar changes had been made. Whether or not the very first postwar bicycles incorporated any or all of these differences is one of the areas I hope will become clear as this serial number project develops.

Here are some notes and my opinions at this point on prewar vs. postwar.

Most of the prewar frame styles were not reintroduced when postwar bicycle production resumed.

The boy?s 3-Gill style frame and the standard girls frame both survived WWII but a number of changes were made. Again, I don?t know if all these changes were incorporated in the first postwar production or gradually phased in.

Antony has noted previously, and I agree, that the very first postwar 3-Gills may be the frames that appear to be identical to prewar models but do not have drop-out ears. Another distinguishing feature of bikes from this (1942?-1946?) period is the appearance of the forged fork with the pinch crown. (Looks sort of early Dayton crossed with Schwinn forged)

The following frame changes were all introduced after the war.

On the boy?s 3-Gill, the postwar model's down-tube curve is deeper and more pronounced (like a prewar girl?s frame.)

The seat clamp was redesigned and has an annular rib pressed into the surface.

The rear dropouts were changed, still rear facing they do not have drop stand ears and incorporate fender brace and chain guard mounting holes.

The rear fender bridges on the frame are open stampings rather than tubular, and contoured to fit the fender.

As for sheet metal changes, the flush side and comet impressed tanks were both available pre and post war. When equipped with horn buttons early tanks use the larger nickel size delta horn button mounted in a stepped depression on the left side of the tank. Later tanks use the small 1/4? button protruding through a hole on the right side of the tank.

I don?t know when Delta came out with the smaller button or when CWC incorporated it.
Any Delta experts have info on this?

The earlier chain-guards gave way to a revision of the 1941 guard with a new mount.

I believe the stamped steel CWC rack with the chevrons is postwar only although I have seen them mounted on prewar bikes. I assume added later, maybe I?m wrong?

More stuff for discussion.

Enjoy

Phil

Prewar 3-gill, serial number WF 14 K24110 58

2596166620_7f2afe9c71_b-1.jpg

Postwar 3-Gill, serial number B45580 ACW

2596167718_02dd118a0e_b-1.jpg

Prewar 3-gill front end ghosted over postwar 3-Gill

2596159998_18a98732b4_b-1.jpg

More Info

My Hiawatha w/ 2 speed aviator. Ser # E86268 53. Pics attached

Attachments

• 100_0086.JPG
    100_0086.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 100_0087.JPG
    100_0087.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 100_0089.JPG
    100_0089.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 100_0092.JPG
    100_0092.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,191
Phil take a look at this CWC frame/bike...

Is this pre or post war? The down tube on this bike -- item #200238268878 on ebay -- is what you described as being pre-war, a gentle curve vs the more pronounced curve, yet does not have rack ears?

Any thoughts?

Alan

Back