When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed Fork Drop Out Question

-

Rides4Fun

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi Cabers,

I have a mid-30’s Snyder built Hawthorne bike with the open drop out on one side and the closed on the other side. I recognize that this type of configuration has been discussed before with respect to spreading the forks, etc., to install the wheel. However, I’m thinking about using a threaded rod from the hardware store for an axle for a drop center wheel set I have (don’t know the brand) and was wondering if this may work. Specifically, is threaded rod solid and as hard as a standard axle? Also, would I likely be able to find threaded rod in the same size and with the same tpi?

Any insights and advice are very much appreciate as I am still learning about vintage bikes and would rather not cut the fork or spread the forks to put wheel on and off.

Thank you and have a great day,

Barry

Standard all thread is definitely not as strong as the axles. There are three grades of ATR so check out the tensile strength on them. I've never used it for an axle and I know some here have.

Not sure if Snyder used a closed front fork end in the 1930’s (or if ever?).
Many Snyder forks that I have seen have the two ovals embossed top plate crown; I have also seen the flat-top fork crowns, but not sure of a make or model.
Maybe post a picture of the forks as well as the whole bicycle?
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/30’s-snyder-motobike.189287/

Front axles of the 5/16” variety might come in 24tpi, 26tpi, or metric; not sure about hardware stores’ threaded rods (18tpi?).
The thread pitch and size should match the cones, lock nuts (jam nuts), and axle nuts. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/fork-with-open-closed-drop-out.194222/

Last edited:
I am not seeing any benefit to using a threaded rod over an axle. what is it that you think would be different?
Thanks for your question. Since the fork is open on one end and closed on the other end with a hole, I can fit my wheel in the fork unless I spread them pretty far and I am uncomfortable putting that kind of stress on the fork. I was thinking that if I could find a fully threaded rod or axle, I could run it straight through from one side to the other. I am still very new to working on old balloon bikes, so I am trying to explore my options.

The photo of my fork is the one that is shown in the bottom link that Archie Sturmer posted. I asked some questions about this back in July, but had to put my project on hold since then due to other obligations that took my full attention. I am now working on the project again, so I am trying to explore this further to see if there are fully thread axles, etc. or if my axle is too long, etc. Just trying to learn and sort this out and sincerely thank all for any advice

Hardware store Allthread is pretty low grade stuff. The suggestions on Rides4Fun's post are all good. I would probably just open up the circular hole in the fork.

Hardware store Allthread is pretty low grade stuff. The suggestions on Rides4Fun's post are all good. I would probably just open up the circular hole in the fork.
Thank you, Andrew, for your insights. You know, it's like anything old that I've gotten and wanted to preserve as a caretaker, it's been a little hard for me to think about doing that, but it may be the best option. I just got a cutting tool a few weeks ago, unexpectedly from having to work on other obligations that took my focus completely away from my bike project, so maybe having to get that tool was a sign.

Thanks for your question. Since the fork is open on one end and closed on the other end with a hole, I can fit my wheel in the fork unless I spread them pretty far and I am uncomfortable putting that kind of stress on the fork. I was thinking that if I could find a fully threaded rod or axle, I could run it straight through from one side to the other. I am still very new to working on old balloon bikes, so I am trying to explore my options.
Why would you feel uncomfortable about spreading your fork, enough to go to the extent of replacing the axle with something inferior to an original? Please read, "Spreading those difficult forks" in the Restoration thread. Unfortunately, these forks are designed that way. it's just the way it is. Keep it simple. Have someone else spread it for you as you drop the wheel in. Or, tie a rope around around one blade and fasten to door handle or something else that's handy, and pull.

Back