When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed Fork Drop Out Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Some old hubs are about 90mm wide, and the more modern standard might be more like 100mm. That would be 10mm more extra stretching.
Common modern replacement axles are about 5+1/2” long (140mm) and 26-tpi.

My 36 Tri-Bar Hawthorne has this fork. My axle is 3/8" x 5 1/2". What I have done, on all of my closed end forks (even on my LWB Colson) is to drill that hole just a little larger. It allows a better angle for the axle. I also have no air in the tire..I was fighting that a lot....

I looked at a few, early schwinn, westfield and ND. The prewar axles were 5" to 5-1/2" and hubs measured 3-1/2" outside jam nut to jam nut (fork inside measurement).

I would not spread the fork.I would loosen the nuts on the axle and readjust the axle after greasing the bearings.Adjust the nuts so the axle is centered in the fork with equal overhang on each side of the fork,Set bearings.

Back