When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLR magic

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

volksboy57

I live for the CABE
I did a CLR test last night, and the results were better than expected.
My method:
Put the sprocket in a gallon zip lock bag with CLR, and let sit about 8 hours. Removed from bag, wiped with paper towel. Opposite side had worse rust, so used a plastic bristle dishes brush, and cleaned it with warm water.
Takeaway:
I probably let it sit in the CLR too long, as it ate through the chrome a little, and has yellowish areas. I should have let it sit for an hour, and cleaned with the plastic brush and repeated a few times instead of a long soak.
Usually I would use a brass wire brush and wd-40, but that leaves the surface a little hazy.
So far this is my best method for cleaning rusty chrome parts.
Caution: CLR will turn your hardened steel (unchromed) bearing cups and races black. Also, it is pretty sketchy stuff, so wear gloves.
20200816_013406.jpg

20200816_013415.jpg

20200816_013535.jpg

20200816_013714.jpg

20200816_095852.jpg

20200816_101637.jpg

20200816_100341.jpg

How do you think it compares to an OA soak? The instructions say to let it set for a couple minutes and then rinse but looking at that ring I don't think it would have phased it in couple minutes. But then again, it says for removing rust stains, not rusted up metal. I mainly use CLR for the hard water build up we have to deal with here.

I like using CLR for bike paint also. I used it to get rust off of a couple white bikes I had. I used the OA method and that was fine too. The OA was good for a large amount of liquid to cover a whole frame, whereas that would get expensive in CLR. The OA gets a bit crusty and yellow after awhile, and I dont notice anything like that with CLR.

20200802_180452.jpg

20200816_190303.jpg

Back