When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clunker Build MTB Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
Yesterday I picked up this Cruiser with a 19" frame for just 12$ in non working condition, I mainly just wanted the coaster break equipped wheel set and tires for another project, and thought the price was pretty good even if all I ever used were just the wheels or tires, which look to be brand new.

IMG_4122.JPG

The frame is steel, and actually very light, I was certain it was aluminum until I tested it with a magnet. Its unmarked, and I'm sure it isn't any thing special and is most likely a cheaper department store frame.

After I got home, I noticed the frame has a rear dropout for a derailleur, and also cable guides. It got me thinking that I could build it back up as a light duty mountain / trail bike. When purchased it was equipped with just a coaster break and a single speed drive-train,

I pulled of the original fork, and replaced it with a suspension fork, swapped the stem and handle bars, tossed on some derailleurs just for mock up purposes, put on a new seatpost, a modern MTN saddle, added some shimano thumb type shifters and some break levers. Most the parts are just on there for mock up purposes to see how it might all come together and will not stay.

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4120.JPG

I was able to get the original fenders to work with the suspension fork.

IMG_4121.JPG

Sometime this winter I will get a bottom bracket converter, so I can add a multi-speed 3 piece crank, and next spring I'll repaint the frame a satin black, and equip it with a older shimano lx drive-train I have laying around somewhere.

It will never be anything special, but when its done I think it will look pretty cool, and should be able to handle some of the smother dirt single track, and crushed gravel trails in the area.

Last edited:
Back