When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clunker/Klunker......Thoughts?

-

Mad Mike

Look Ma, No Hands!
So- I have read up on both titles, seen what you all have done, and named them as such. Good work 'yall! BUT- here is my Q of the day......I have a bike=38/39 Mercury, not a POD, but the under model. I have everything for it. Complete, and here's the jist.........It's in 4 different colors! I don't think i'll go the refurbish route, it's just going to get cleaned up=chrome/paint the best I can, grease, and ride the poop out of it. I had to purchase some items, hence the different colors..Sorry- no pictures, because it's a pile of parts right now.
So- what would this be called? All the parts are correct, and nothing odd-ball.......
It isn't a survivor, it isn't OG, it's a hodge podge of parts to complete what came from the factory. But- they are correct! What would you call it? Just discussion going on here....Thoughts?

I'd probably call it a cool bike if there were pictures.

my DX started with a rusty red frame then I paid way too much for a rusty maroon chainguard, added a rusty maroon painted red and rusted rack, and my fenders are maroon with a matching light. I don't have a picture with the rack, you will just have to take my word for it.

I call mine Fred.

I'd paint it & call it a Period Correct Project or PCP for abbreviation. Even if you jus' paint it in gray & red primer to contrast. Klunkers are usually hodge podge from what ever manufacturer parts non period in my opinion for what it may be worth. Kinda like American Motors used to be with cars; may have a ford motor with chevy dodge etc accessories like the alternator etc.

It's all personal preference & opinion. Could always call it Hode Podge or Hodgy or Podgy etc but Regardless post pics. We love pics & Progression ;)

Maybe just call it tbd.

I might call a similar 1938 Mercury bike a 1938–C Murray with straight seat tube mast; or a 1939 bike a 1939–D Murray.

And there is the option of reading the head badge, if it has one, and calling it just that.

Last edited:
please send the location of this money I have ASAP!!!
I was just saying if he already has all the period or correct model parts despite colors; logically speaking 1 view point would be to save the hassle of hunting parts & $ Already spent to build it at least. Even if it looks horrendous or clown'ish due to coloring. I do despise that but I also understand some hard to find or costly parts should very well be left alone. Quite a Predicament sometimes but should it be something not easily turned loose of we can't always agree what's Right for Me is Your Right too. I'd vote assemble it as into a rider 1st & foremost .... at least. Sure it may be extra work but may help decide the fate of the bike & parts with some logical thinking. Maybe. ALL In Good fun ;)

Back