When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coaster hub oil

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'd ask @tripple3 what he uses because I think he puts more miles on these hubs than anyone I know V/r Shawn
Wow Shawn, thank you. V/r Sparky😊
Spout oil can with 30w automotive oil.
I don't do it very often either.
I don't use the brakes very often either though;
very flat where i typically ride.🥰

There's more than 1 bike waiting, for me to do maintenance/service/part replacement.😔

For what it's worth, I usually grease all New Departure parts when rebuilding (even the discs). I like Phil Wood green grease. that seems to keep a hub going for a while without getting gummy. If I ever add oil I use Mobil1 30w synthetic. Mobil1 seems to work quite well on Sturmey-Archer hubs, as well.

I rebuilt my New Departure Model D with Lucas Red ‘n Tacky on the bearings and the disks. The New Departure manual says to use “hypoid gear oil” in the oil port. So it’s probably good to use any gear lube/heavyweight oil.

Reactions: ian
I got a bottle of this stuff from my fave bike shop a few years ago to use inside hubs. Works great!! Plus it has a long tube to reach hub oiler ports. 😉

I used TSI 321 Synthetic lube for the discs because I already had it on my bench and I read somewhere the lighter the better for the disc stack. Works great!

I'm about to rebuild my ND it has oil port. I'm confused, I've heard grease bearings but not anything else inside hub, assemble and add oil via port to oil discs. Others say grease everything hubs and discs and also add oil. What should I do, or does it even matter?

Back