When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coaster lubrication

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
Someone is telling me that oil in the coaster hub is the only lubricant to be used, no grease on the bearings just oil. 😳

Page 142 under lubrication, use high temp grease and oil.

Last edited:
just another opinion-i realize there are different ideas on this topic.....and its probably true that most of the vintage bikes are using the new departure model 'd' type hubs and i would agree that grease the bearings and oil the stack of brake washers. the downside i see is that too much oil will eventually 'wash' the grease off the bearings! myself i run morrow hubs exclusively and i always use a white lithium grease. i pack my hub full-a lesson learned from those days when i could ride down mt. tam.! as the hub warms up it almost 'melts' the grease so as to seep down into all the nooks and crannies of the hub. just before a big ride i shoot another syringe full of grease into the oiler hole! proper adjustment and plenty of lubrication is the key no matter which way you roll!

Back