When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors,,,,what to do about large collection and tires going flat over time?

-
Whizzer guys put an extra 60 lbs on our bikes so I only put thorne proof tires on all my bikes. They cost twice as much but over the last 30 years I have done half the pumping than the thin tires. I have 114 sets of tires to pump. Going 35 MPH with a blowout is a trip to the hospital. Thorne proof also save the tire from bending/flat tire cracks. Buy them on line but they must be pumped up over recommended pressure to grab because they are more firm. When Thornes deflate they only go 1/2 of the way down. It is like having a second tire in there. They can be used in another tire when that one wears out. I won't live that long.
Good info. Do you have a recommendation for 26 inch Thorn proof tubes? There's so many different products available. And yeah.... Slime sucks. I bought a slime brand tube (with the slime already in it) just cause it said it was a thicker tube and it's held air for almost a month now but I wouldn't recommend buying slime to put in your tubes. I have heard good things about a product called tru goo.

As far as the tubes go, I have found that the Goodyear heavy duty tubes work great. I have put them in bikes and have not had to do anything to them for at least a year. I found them in Wallymart
That does look like a good option. No better way to ruin a good bike ride than a flat.

Screenshot_20200114-112502_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Collectors,,,,what to do about large collection and tires going flat over time?

Bitch and moan!
And then roll the compressor out to the appropriate shed. Tubes are replaced when things get too bad.
I routinely have a "pull out the bikes and blow up the tires day" about every two to three months and that is for about 260 plus tires. Not fun...

I love it when the last one is rolled back in with properly inflated tires.
By the way, They're due.
REC

You have 130 bikes? Holy sheep dip! Cool! My wife flips out I have 15 or so. I’m glad a few are living the Dream. Lol

The A-frame bike stands that @sm2501 had available will save your tires from cracking. Don't know that it would be practical to buy 260 of them though. LOL. :rolleyes:

Edit. Should have said "Has" available:

Last edited:
Well, as butyl rubber naturally leaks carbon dioxide, I have pumps and fill them regularly.

Tubes are made of butyl rubber.

The permeability of a gas through rubber depends mainly on its diffusivity and solubility in rubber.

CO2COX2 has a significantly higher solubility in rubber than O2OX2 and N2NX2, whereas the diffusion coefficients differ not that much.

The result is that carbon dioxide passes ordinary rubber about 5 times faster than oxygen and about 15 times faster than nitrogen

Of course, you could just fill them with nitrogen and reduce the time of filling them up again as often.

Well, as butyl rubber naturally leaks carbon dioxide, I have pumps and fill them regularly.

Tubes are made of butyl rubber.

The permeability of a gas through rubber depends mainly on its diffusivity and solubility in rubber.

CO2COX2 has a significantly higher solubility in rubber than O2OX2 and N2NX2, whereas the diffusion coefficients differ not that much.

The result is that carbon dioxide passes ordinary rubber about 5 times faster than oxygen and about 15 times faster than nitrogen

Of course, you could just fill them with nitrogen and reduce the time of filling them up again as often.
There you have it folks. Don't blow up your tires using your own breath. It won't last as long and you might just pass out and wake up feeling like your head is tingling forgetting what day it is or what you were doing previously. Do like Ozzy does and use nitrous.

This is a major problem for the hidden, not ridden crowd as when tires go flat, a bike can topple the whole stack like dominos.
I have a compressor with a long cord and fortunately most my bikes have drop stands so I only have to worry about the front, which I pump and rotate a few times a year to resist flat spots.
I think old tubes hold better as they are thicker and not as taut when full but I took physics a while ago and that's as far as I can take it...and you've already had a chemistry lesson on this thread.
Chris

Back