When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors,,,,what to do about large collection and tires going flat over time?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I use this, makes a lot of noise but works fast and easy...
CR-Cars-Inline-Tire-Inflator-Ryobi-08-17.jpg

Put more air in the tires. If you don't ride your bikes in a year, I would then sell it or give it to goodwill or some friends who you like. What good does 35 bikes stuffed in a basement or shed do anyone? Not much IMO. I guess you could look at these hidden bikes as future money. Tires though? In terms of old cracked tires on old unridden bikes, I cannot help you with that!!:p I cannot understand why anyone would go on any ride more than 100' with tires like that. I would throw the shot ones away, especially the white walls.:eek:

Last edited:
Most of my bikes (about 50 of the 70 some) are hung on display and while a low tire sags a bit, the majority of visitors appreciate seeing the bikes, and only once in a while alert me to a low tire and it's usually informative instead of criticism. For scooters like some of my Cushmans, Doodlebug, Salsbury, and some of the smaller cycles, I cut a wooden block about a 4"x 6" or so shimmed to barely let the tires touch the floor when placed under the frame in the vicinity of the motor/transmission area. The machine is then safely balanced vertically instead of leaning. I agree w/ scrubbinrims that older tubes hold better. With my older cycles, (over 70 dating back to a 1912 Harley) have to bite the bullet and air at least a cuple of times a year. The clinchers are the worst as if the tire pops out of the clinch groove, it's a real pain to get it back w/ wheel still in the bike. On some of my motorbikes, like Whizzers, Simplex, Smith Motor wheel, etc. I have welded about a 5 or 6' piece of 3" channel iron atop a desired length of 2 1/2" pipe on a substantial stand and welded a notched or drilled flat iron piece on each side of channel when placed under the front and rear axles keep weight of the tire. These stands between some of my cycles save floor space. I'm having trouble posting photos, but you might see some of our collection on www.miracleofamericamuseum.org.

Most of my bikes (about 50 of the 70 some) are hung on display and while a low tire sags a bit, the majority of visitors appreciate seeing the bikes, and only once in a while alert me to a low tire and it's usually informative instead of criticism. For scooters like some of my Cushmans, Doodlebug, Salsbury, and some of the smaller cycles, I cut a wooden block about a 4"x 6" or so shimmed to barely let the tires touch the floor when placed under the frame in the vicinity of the motor/transmission area. The machine is then safely balanced vertically instead of leaning. I agree w/ scrubbinrims that older tubes hold better. With my older cycles, (over 70 dating back to a 1912 Harley) have to bite the bullet and air at least a cuple of times a year. The clinchers are the worst as if the tire pops out of the clinch groove, it's a real pain to get it back w/ wheel still in the bike. On some of my motorbikes, like Whizzers, Simplex, Smith Motor wheel, etc. I have welded about a 5 or 6' piece of 3" channel iron atop a desired length of 2 1/2" pipe on a substantial stand and welded a notched or drilled flat iron piece on each side of channel when placed under the front and rear axles keep weight of the tire. These stands between some of my cycles save floor space. I'm having trouble posting photos, but you might see some of our collection on www.miracleofamericamuseum.org.
Wow!!!!! Did I say Wow? Well what I meant to say was, Wow!

Back