When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorflow powdercoat colors

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
N

nrmndy1

I have a circa 1954 J.C.Higgins ladies colorflow.
Dark blue and silver in color with skirtguards.
I am in the process of restoring it and would like to powdercoat it.
Can anyone tell me if I can get powdercoat powder to match the original colors of the the bike.
Thanks,
Norm/Elkhorn,NE:)

Yes I no that the local guys here will custom match but there is an extra charge. They do have a huge array of colors, some may be really close.

I don't think so, but the act of powder coating itself kind of pulls the project out of the restoration category anyway. This kind of gives you some creative liscense, making it kind of a resto-mod or a custom project.

That being said, I imagine you can get close, powder coating is getting more and more colors, but it still looks weird to my eye

I don't think so, but the act of powder coating itself kind of pulls the project out of the restoration category anyway. This kind of gives you some creative liscense, making it kind of a resto-mod or a custom project.

That being said, I imagine you can get close, powder coating is getting more and more colors, but it still looks weird to my eye
Hi Shane
I can see that powdercoat is not original but
base coat/clear coat is also not original.
Are you suggesting to use enamel or lacquer?
Norm

Norm

I didn't mean to sound critical.

I was more trying to say you could have fun if you wanted to.

I think that enamel is correct as far as restorative purposes go, but I have also heard that epoxy enamels are tougher, which is the real beauty of powdercoat, the fact that you can nearly take a hammer to it.

One thing to consider is tolerances, as powder coating is thicker make sure everything will go back together.

I am going to bump Scotts Bike Painting 101 and 102 they will be at the top of the Bicycle Restoration Tips Forum

Hey, I agree... having a resto-mod bike myself, I can attest that I wish I'd have painted mine instead. Not only does it really not look like paint, but it has also set me up so that when I get other parts for the bike, I have to take the parts to get coated, when my heart wishes I could spray & do it myself. Plus, I apparently picked a difficult color to control (candy metallic semi-transparent), and the consistency is hard to maintain from part to part.

Paint that bike!

I did get to cheat on a few small parts with powdercoat, though... I had a few pieces that were beyond rust-removal, and I didn't want to pay the cost of rechroming, so I had them powderdcoated silver. The proximity to chrome was good enough for me. but I'm slowly replacing those parts with better ones I find when I get them.

Norm

I didn't mean to sound critical.

I was more trying to say you could have fun if you wanted to.

I think that enamel is correct as far as restorative purposes go, but I have also heard that epoxy enamels are tougher, which is the real beauty of powdercoat, the fact that you can nearly take a hammer to it.

One thing to consider is tolerances, as powder coating is thicker make sure everything will go back together.

I am going to bump Scotts Bike Painting 101 and 102 they will be at the top of the Bicycle Restoration Tips Forum
Hi Shane,
I didn't take your reply as a critique. In fact I appreciate your advice.
In thinking it over I see where painting is a better option.
I will look at the article you bumped.
I have restored 2 other bikes using basecoat/clearcoat and liked out they turned out.
I'll get back to you with pictures.
Thanks for the reply.
Norm/Elkhorn,NE

I did get to cheat on a few small parts with powdercoat, though... I had a few pieces that were beyond rust-removal, and I didn't want to pay the cost of rechroming, so I had them powderdcoated silver. The proximity to chrome was good enough for me. but I'm slowly replacing those parts with better ones I find when I get them.
Hi Travis,
Thanks for the reply.
After reading the replies from you and Shane I decided to stick with paint.
I have restored 2 other bikes using basecoat/clearcoat and was pleased with the results.
I'll shoot you some pictures.
Norm/Elkhorn,NE

Back