When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Bull Nose Serial Numbers

-
Not sure because some companies e.g. Schwinn skipped the "I" which would throw this off a month. If anyone has either a Double Eagle or Firestone with an "I" please post. Thanks, Shawn

Serial # on my '41 Colson badged "Scout". Could be the wrong badge, likely a Firestone Cruiser or Flying Ace.

DSCN7550.JPG

DSCN7739.JPG

Last edited:
This interesting. I read through this post and went out to check the SN on my Goodyear Colson. Here's a pic. This looks to be an original bike but the serial number has me questioning that now. Clearly marked FCC on the BB.

20180720_084756.jpg

20180711_203143.jpg

20180715_220831.jpg

On above bike badge screws look different and obviously have been in and out. Perhaps this bike lost it's og Firestone badge? If the badge is removed does the the ghost outline match the badge outline?

On above bike badge screws look different and obviously have been in and out. Perhaps this bike lost it's og Firestone badge? If the badge is removed does the the ghost outline match the badge outline?

The top screw has definitely been replaced. It comes in and out easily. The bottom screw is tight though. If it'sever been out it has been decades ago I would say. I'm afraid to remove it without removing the forks and checking the back side of screw inside head tube or at least soaking it for a few days in penetrating oil. There is no shadowing from a different head badge that I can see on the head tube.

I'm curious about the serial #/letters on the '41 Firestone bikes. The Goodyear Double Eagle/Double Eagle Deluxe aka "Clipper" has a "GY" stamped on the bottom bracket. The girls bike Olan123 posted has a "L1 FCC" with six numbers and a restored Bull Nose I'm looking at has a "OCXXXX" serial #. For those of you that have original Bull Noses could you please post your serial #/letters stamped on the bottom bracket? Do all of the legitimate Firestone bikes have "FCC"? Thanks, Shawn
The Firestone 3-characters F-codes might not be well documented or understood.

I have a bullnose tank model, with the large side holes in the head, with the Colson date code of G1 for July 1941; and the Firestone 3-characters code “FCC”.
F = Firestone;
C = year 1941, (A/’39; B/’40);
C = manufacturer Colson; (H/Huffman; and W/Westfield).

We have also seen a recent 1938 Firestone built by Colson with a simpler “FS” stamp, for FireStone, and a corresponding Colson “I8” stamp for September 1938.

I believe that the separate Colson date codes really help to authenticate the similar Firestone codes for other manufacturers.

Some of this Firestone coding information is dispersed among various one-manufacturer threads (probably the definition of not well documented); such as for Huffman built Twin-Flexers.

One member who might have understood the Firestone codes, say for Huffman-built models, (FAH, FBH, and FCH), seemed to deny any 1940 Westfield-built Firestone bicycles (e.g., stamped “FBW”).

I believe that there may be some members who might maintain other websites that better explain the Firestone serial numbers &c., but I could not find it actually spelled-out on the CABE.

Last edited:
Back