When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Commander Thread

-
IMG_0002_zps27aa12e0-1.jpg

Dang I thought maybe it was a project that you could throw in on the Monark deal! Would like to see the "after" pics. V/r Shawn

This is a great thread. Thanks Scott S. 36 Commander is on e of my favorite Colson's. Chris I know where that bike came, the owner was not ready to let it go when I inquired. Lucky!

My theory with these that they were small number of them produced and also possible breaks or cracks with the tubing.

Love the 1st Commander posted, Ive seen photos of it before. Great original with the special Commander handlebar and the correct early Lobdel and ever so hard to find seat-post diameter for Colson specifically.

The 37, 38 and 39 never came in a 18 1/2 only at least 21" and had a long wheel-base unlike the 36. So anything resembling the 1936 frame size would be an Impostor. I do not have this one anymore, it went to a good home when times were tough for me.

Beware of several Imitation 37,38 and 39 impostors, there are several that have been passed on as the real deal in past years. They most likely have been restored And possible 36 ones... The later years were copied after the 36 Commander and so again if you were to copy those I'm sure the 36 was too. There are things to tell if there are real looking up inside the flat tank that is a dead give away if you know what it is.

Bill I have yet to see your bike in person. Great bike and patina!

I will have one someday... I know it! I would trade a couple rare Colson for one for sure. Simple great looking bicycles. I believe there are about 9-10 known in the hobby.

I have only had the 37 version of this bike, extremely rare! It was a project. There were a couple cracks on the front part of the tubing near the head tube on both tubes. I suspect this was part of the disaster of these ever surviving long term. This one is the only real dated one known in the hobby that I know of. And also one 38 dated one as well and from what I know the 39 is yet to be found, the same with no flat tank.

Bob thanks for posting your Commanders as well. Did your maroon Commander have a battery tank lid or the pin holes for one? Curious...

Attachments

• downsized_0304120925.jpg
    downsized_0304120925.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 435
  • downsized_0229121708.jpg
    downsized_0229121708.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 435
  • downsized_0229121707.jpg
    downsized_0229121707.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 471
  • downsized_0229121706.jpg
    downsized_0229121706.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 448
  • downsized_0229121705.jpg
    downsized_0229121705.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
The tank is complete with door, etc.
It was found in southern Colorado 20+ years ago and with the same collector since then.
These frames, like the Elgin Twin bars, seem to suffer from stress fractures and "male rider" abuse.
This could explain why these bikes are so rare, they just broke.
Will do the pictures when I get time.

but unlike the elgin twin bar, colson did not make many commanders and of these even fewer monark x-26 steel versions were made.
They broke a lot, cool design but in the long run stupid design.

Nick.

The tank is complete with door, etc.
It was found in southern Colorado 20+ years ago and with the same collector since then.
These frames, like the Elgin Twin bars, seem to suffer from stress fractures and "male rider" abuse.
This could explain why these bikes are so rare, they just broke.
Will do the pictures when I get time.

Back