When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Commander Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Going thru a box of old pictures, here is the elusive '38.
On the back of picture; 3-07-95, as found. Castelli now owns, is restored.
[Interesting thing about Colsons, they changed their forks every year on these bikes, especially the waterfall models. The '37 has the widest across at 3.5" (truss rod to truss rod), with the '38 is 3" wide.]

IMG_0006_zps66dfd851-1.jpg

Yes Bob correct It is a 38 and was found by Castelli originally. It has changed hands a few times since Castelli. Chuck Rosa owned and restored it "from what I heard". The bike was in super rough shape and the tank was partially built back on one side. Half the bike was rusted out from what I understand. Amazing that the original water fall nameplate was still attached to the bike. Than owned by someone else after Chuck I do not recall who and now owned by ours truly Scott McCasky which purchased it about two years ago and now also owns my 37 Commander.

Photo attached of the 38 and what the bike has been restored too. For someone holding onto to one of rarest bicycles in the hobby and getting a plaque... had a very serious look on him...

So what the hobby knows of that actually exist as far as 37 and 38 goes... Scott owns them folks. 39 has yet be found. Examine the flow of the frame lines and the top of the seat post mass. Hardly protruding past the top bar. Unlike the 36... replicas do not resemble the same and copy the 36 along with the crank case. Completely different...

Colson forks do change every year into the 1940s. Not one fork on their fleet models are the same or the same width. They tend to get narrower along with the fender every year plus the peak on the crown appears in 1937.

Derek

Going thru a box of old pictures, here is the elusive '38.
On the back of picture; 3-07-95, as found. Castelli now owns, is restored.
[Interesting thing about Colsons, they changed their forks every year on these bikes, especially the waterfall models. The '37 has the widest across at 3.5" (truss rod to truss rod), with the '38 is 3" wide.]

IMG_0006_zps66dfd851-1.jpg

Attachments

• img_2274.jpg
    img_2274.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Very cool Bob. Neat Commander, Different from the rest... The design didn't make it is my guess too.
The tank is complete with door, etc.
It was found in southern Colorado 20+ years ago and with the same collector since then.
These frames, like the Elgin Twin bars, seem to suffer from stress fractures and "male rider" abuse.
This could explain why these bikes are so rare, they just broke.
Will do the pictures when I get time.

Yes Bob correct It is a 38 and was found by Castelli originally. It has changed hands a few times since Castelli. Chuck Rosa owned and restored it "from what I heard". The bike was in super rough shape and the tank was partially built back on one side. Half the bike was rusted out from what I understand. Amazing that the original water fall nameplate was still attached to the bike. Than owned by someone else after Chuck I do not recall who and now owned by ours truly Scott McCasky which purchased it about two years ago and now also owns my 37 Commander.

Photo attached of the 38 and what the bike has been restored too. For someone holding onto to one of rarest bicycles in the hobby and getting a plaque... had a very serious look on him...

So what the hobby knows of that actually exist as far as 37 and 38 goes... Scott owns them folks. 39 has yet be found. Examine the flow of the frame lines and the top of the seat post mass. Hardly protruding past the top bar. Unlike the 36... replicas do not resemble the same and copy the 36 along with the crank case. Completely different...

Colson forks do change every year into the 1940s. Not one fork on their fleet models are the same or the same width. They tend to get narrower along with the fender every year plus the peak on the crown appears in 1937.

Derek

Very nice design! Love these! Very nice restoration to!

This is another design from September,1937, (American Bicylist Magazine)
Check out the design on the tank with the 3 raised ridges on the tank matching the 3 tips on the chainguard. This one has never been found, to my knowledge, either.
I love the '39 minimalist style. Never seen that one either.
IMG_zpsc7cbb2bc-1.jpg

That bike looks a lot like the Monark "Speedster" which I beleive was only '39 as well. I notice Bill Triplett has a few realy nice Colsons and wonder what the thoughts are on those. V/r Shawn

39 is really neat and simple. I would love to know what the actual WF nameplate looks like and how its set up. The same waterfall badge was also the same for the 39 grill tank model.

Three rib Commander has yet to be found from what I understand. I know where an imitation is.

Last edited:
Back