When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson 'Fairy'

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hi all.
Now for something that I have little knowledge or experience of, but I'm hoping some of you guys may be able to help with.
My friend Adam has acquired this Colson 'Fairy' kids bicycle over here in the UK.
Here are some photos for you.....
IMG-20220710-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220710-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220710-WA0001.jpg

My principal questions are, firstly, what years we're these bikes in production?
Secondly, I've never seen a 'Model C.C.' ND hub before, can anyone help with information on these.
Any other general information on any aspect of this great little bike would also be greatly appreciated.
It's a lovely little machine that Adam's young son is already enjoying, but it's no lightweight.
I can't believe how heavy it actually is!

Colson took over some of the Worthington company for children’s vehicles in 1917, for a no-sooner-than date. (Worthington may have continued some retail stores).

The company was incorporated in the early 1930’s (and badges would read “Corp” versus “Co” for a no-later-than date; but it might be from the earlier half looking at the casting of the badge (versus stamped).

Colson took over some of the Worthington company for children’s vehicles in 1917, for a no-sooner-than date. (Worthington may have continued some retail stores).

The company was incorporated in the early 1930’s (and badges would read “Corp” versus “Co” for a no-later-than date; but it might be from the earlier half looking at the casting of the badge (versus stamped).
Many thanks!

I know what you mean about the weight on these children's bikes of the '20s and '30s. I have a 14" girls bike from around 1933 (date the seller gave me), and it is one heavy little bike! Feels like the frame was made from schedule 80 iron pipe.

Dave

Back