When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Flyer camel back information please

-

Neanderthal77

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Looking for some information on this Colson Flyer? Can't find a serial number. Looks to be original paint with black box pinstriping. The rear wheel with ND Model C hub seems to be the original. It is missing the brake arm. Think the front was replaced after whatever broke the fork and bent the handlebars. Does 15/16ths sound right for the seat post size? What are the tabs with cotter pin holes on the dropouts for (dropstand) (fenders)? Last what year do you think this is? Thank you for any information.

IMG_20180904_081149.jpg

IMG_20180904_081212.jpg

IMG_20180904_081301.jpg

IMG_20180904_081335.jpg

IMG_20180904_081422.jpg

Last edited:
Digging around and figured out what the tabs on the dropouts are for, early chain adjusters. So I am guessing the bike is pre 34/35? Did Colson stamp a serial anywhere on these bikes? Found this picture of a bike that was for sale here.

IMG_0225.jpg

Colson lugged-joint frame. Maybe look on either the head tube (left) or the steerer tube on the fork?
I have seen guestimates that these may be late 1920's (unknown) and late 1930's (suspect).
When I see something different, I usually think its older, rather than newer and conforming in design.
Not sure if the embossed badges with holes may be older than those without.
Many later Colson frames had 3/4" posts; I believe the lugged framed ones were shimmed.

Last edited:
Back