When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson frame identification help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HB Ballooner

'Lil Knee Scuffer
A friend gave me this frame. Told me it was a Colson and that he bought it from an old retired Southern Pacific railroad worker in the Los Angels area. Used to belong to the railroad but was given to him when he retired.

The only two things my friend had left was the frame and the skiptooth sproket after a number of years. When he bought it it had no tank.

I am learning a lot reading all the posts. There are some well informed people
here. With nothing to go by, not even a head badge its a guess what year or model it might have been. 1940 perhaps?? horizonal from the rear dropouts with no tension adjustment screw..curved downtube..

I stared sanding it down as it is completly rusty....seems to be good metal under all the rust...the brazing work seems to be very rough, perhaps paint covers a lot

colson017-1.jpg

I think it might be a Firestone...serial number 42580 ....then above that what looks to be 10.....then FBO... turned sideways it looks like LACO

colson004-1.jpg

I also found what looks like SPCO-1 stamped into side of the lower top tube

colson012-1.jpg

There is no hole drilled into the the chain stay for attaching a long chain guard. But for some reason there is a hole on the other side
For some reason there are two holes drilled on the underside of the downtube

Skiptooth chainring that came with the frame....
colson021-1.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Mark

No idea on the year but there is a seller on ebay with a similar frame and lots of parts for it. High $$ also. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/mcdillis The chainguard is a clamp-on so there is no need for a hole to mount it. If you have an extra $500 you can own them all but that kinda sounds ridiculous doesn't it? I will take a guess and say the LACO was stamped by the railroad (L.A. County perhaps?) since it was company-owned at one point.

I have the complete, postwar version of this bicycle myself. I am very impressed with my old Colson- it's such a nice, solid bicycle. Unfortunaterly due to space issues I may have to sell it which I am really hoping to avoid. I have a prewar girl's Colson frame with backwards dropouts like this, and it has the chain tensioners. if you'd like a picture, I'd be happy to post one. Best of luck...

2zqehqe-1.jpg

I found this one at Ebay....looks like the same frame. I asked for the serial number..........42623......10......FBO......seems to be only 43 numbers behind my serial number....hmm

1940colson_firestone1-1.jpg

4Tees coll SIN!

Yep!

Check the Bay!!!

Make a clipper... or see old post about "flying ace"

Make a cool motorized bike!

J A M I E

Still trying to figure out the year

I am still trying to pin down a year for this frame. I guess there is no serial number list for Colson built frames. :(
If anyone else might have some insight, I would be greatful.

To Balloontirecruiser........please, post a pic of the ladies model you were referring to. With multiple pics, I can at least get an idea of what parts I need to keep an eye out for.

Mark

Does it Matter

IT IS A 40-41-42 MAYBE A 46:rolleyes:

IT COULD BE A Clipper, Firestone Bullnose, Flying Ace, Goodyear Highway Patrol or Wings...

Type in under search... "flying Ace"

YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT DAVE'S SITE...;)

nostalgic.net

J A M I E

....are you listening?

Prob does not matter

You have a point.....no matter.....pick what I like and work from there

1940 Colson TL
1940ColsonTL-1.jpg

1940 Colson Flying Ace
1940ColsonFlyingAce-1.jpg

Two I am looking at as a go by......I really like the Colson TL, however, no idea what TL stands for or even if that is the correct name:cool:

Mark

If I saw that blue Colson flying ace for sale somewhere I would buy it so fast! :D I just love those. My old blue one above needs that same guard... Sorry, I'll be sure to get some pictures tomorrow or Friday and post them here. What in particular do you want pictures of?

There was a guy on ebay selling a bunch of old colson frames one had that short vertical brace between the top tubes back by the seat I thought that it might be a clipper without the tank. I dont think that he sold all of his colson stuff, but I deleted the stuff after the auctions ended. He was in Missoula MT I think his ebay name was dirtywater or muddywater something water about the same year he might have the stuff you need cheap, If i figure it out I will post a link.
Shane

Back