When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Imperial Grill Tank Grills NEEDED

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There're three type grills that were produced; 39-40 and 41-53 loop frame style, this era are all the same which you need to look for. Keep in mind that the girls version will not work, it rest differently than the boys. First generation also sits different and is the largest of the three type grills. I had all three in my hands including the casted bronze version that you sometimes see floating around the hobby. The grills are severely sensitive to damage and almost impossible to repair, any heat will dissolve one in seconds flat into non-existence, so if locate one make sure who ever sends it packs with extreme care. Good luck with your find!

Good morning all, I am still in search of a cast grill for my 1941 Colson Imperial Grill Tank CAST GRILL. I would buy a the grill, a grill & and tank, or possibly an entire Imperial carcass, to get the tank, grill & other odds & ends I need to finish my bike. Any help or leads would be appreciated!!

The mens prewar & postwar grill & tank are basically identical other than how the horn mounts... at this point that really doesn't matter to me...

Other than the fork getting repaired, this project has been sitting in mothballs waiting for a grill. Please help me!!

Thank you.
Howie Drews
View attachment 1202059

There're three type grills that were produced; 39-40 and 41-53 loop frame style, this era are all the same which you need to look for. Keep in mind that the girls version will not work, it rest differently than the boys. First generation also sits different and is the largest of the three type grills. I had all three in my hands including the casted bronze version that you sometimes see floating around the hobby. The grills are severely sensitive to damage and almost impossible to repair, any heat will dissolve one in seconds flat into non-existence, so if locate one make sure who ever sends it packs with extreme care. Good luck with your find!

Fatbike, thank you for the input! Ive never seen the bronze version. Do you have any pics?? Also yes I have to agree these are very brittle/fragile.

In a different post of mine JOHN A. posted that all of the boys grills are the same...IDK.

Id take any grill I could find! If it doesnt fit, it will be a key part to my next build.

Fatbike, thank you for the input! Ive never seen the bronze version. Do you have any pics?? Also yes I have to agree these are very brittle/fragile.

In a different post of mine JOHN A. posted that all of the boys grills are the same...IDK.

i.d. take any grill I could find! If it doesnt fit, it will be a key part to my next build.
39 grill is different then loop frame grills, the angle is off and it is the widest of them all in width, I know, I had them all in my hand and experimented.

i.d. take any grill I could find! If it doesnt fit, it will be a key part to my next build.
All the boys grills are the same from 41-53 on loop frames only. 39-40 snap tank frame is it's own.

3418-096526b2434e7094a9e5a4c9c51828de.jpg
855-ee97f93774ec59f11dfdf1daa638fff4.jpg
856-c8f93875362db65a1aca115be7f0b538.jpg
853-e8c2d288385035e80a045c650d05b7da.jpg
Now if you look at the 39 and 41 side by side you will notice that the earlier ones tank, the cream painted part resembles the newer tank design and shape of the new loop frame shape and geometry, It's pretty cool! 39 is that neat and rare in between 38 frame into sort of 41 frame style but 38 double curve still in straight down tube geometry. Colson was fascinating to me and was and still is my favorite manufacture. Every year the new fleet model had a change and a one year only mostly design with parts. From 36-41 is my favorite. From 37-39 had gothic peak guards but every upcoming year the guards were just a little more narrower the the previous year. 36 and 37 even though 36 one was deep Wald round type and 37 was gothic they were the deepest and widest of all for Colson on all Fleet models. Gothic style became more petite as time went by. I think 41 and later were the McCulley type and not as deep as 36 Wald and the those fender tips were not as square, more pointed. My babble.

Last edited:
I have a extra grille has crack on each side but in good shape if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back