When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson looptail parts bin bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Salt Flat Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this frame a year or so ago as you see it with the mismatched parts. Because of the dropouts I’m guessing post war? Any way to tell the year on these? Looks like number stamped on the bb is 2k400. I think the rack might be from a Huffman, and the fork looks schwinn. The frame looks like it was painted brown, someone sanded that off (kind of), added a rat fink sticker, and then clear coated it. I think I’ll just make it a rider and leave it as rolling pile of different parts. I’ve never had one of these frames and I really like the look of them.

71124C94-411B-4AC7-AFBC-3FB32A3F51C3.jpeg

8AD80342-7EC6-473F-9973-F7BCE1581906.jpeg

15C93A36-5B20-4A36-B155-3BF284AEC690.jpeg

I picked up this frame a year or so ago as you see it with the mismatched parts. Because of the dropouts I’m guessing post war? Any way to tell the year on these? Looks like number stamped on the bb is 2k400. I think the rack might be from a Huffman, and the fork looks schwinn. The frame looks like it was painted brown, someone sanded that off (kind of), added a rat fink sticker, and then clear coated it. I think I’ll just make it a rider and leave it as rolling pile of different parts. I’ve never had one of these frames and I really like the look of them.

View attachment 1314117

View attachment 1314118

View attachment 1314119
I love loop tail frames and this has so much potential; make a fenderless rat, fendered bare metal rider, mtn klunker and or any kinda custom you want. I would make a wide wood tank for it (if keeping the paint) & rat it to match. Name it Loopy or somethin' fittingly cool:cool:

Continuing with parts bin theme I built some wheels for this bike over the past weekend. I’ve had a set of new felt thick bricks in my basement but I didn’t have any 24” wheels.

I found a set, painted the rims a different color and swapped out the hubs. The front is high flange from a schwinn, and the rear is shimano cb-e110. The wheels also have heavy duty 11 gauge spokes.

I think they fit this frame and build pretty well. I’m getting excited to make this one a rider!

Continuing with parts bin theme I built some wheels for this bike over the past weekend. I’ve had a set of new felt thick bricks in my basement but I didn’t have any 24” wheels.
View attachment 1316007

I found a set, painted the rims a different color and swapped out the hubs. The front is high flange from a schwinn, and the rear is shimano cb-e110. The wheels also have heavy duty 11 gauge spokes.
View attachment 1316008

View attachment 1316009

View attachment 1316010

I think they fit this frame and build pretty well. I’m getting excited to make this one a rider!
View attachment 1316011

View attachment 1316012
I'm lovin' it already! Smart move going with the 11g spokes & hoop choice. In case you wanna Bomb it like you stole it! Hahaha. If I could manage to lace wheels I wouldn't use anything less than 12g & no more than 10g if it's powered.

@Superman1984 thanks. The 11g spokes are probably overkill, but that’s what the wheels I took apart came with. Lacing wheels is easier than you think, especially single speed wheels. Buy a $10 cruiser bike with non rusty wheels. Take a wheel completely apart, and try lacing it. It’ll probably take you a few tries. There are plenty of good tutorials and videos. 26” wheels are easier than smaller ones and thinner gauge spokes also make it easier. Spend the money on some good spoke wrenches. I use an upside down frame with some wire taped to it to true them.

Back