When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson project, show me your Colson Project!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Best I can get of the serial number without some excavation.

For some reason, bike projects keep coming. Back during the Rolling Relics SF Ride earlier this year in July, I was digging @fordmike’s preserved condition Colson DB LWB. Riding our ’36 what Schwinn called the DcurvedBR, it was cool to see our bikes together, uncannily similar. Fast forward over 3 weeks ago, Mike contacts me on a lead for a Colson DB. Being black and cream, it didn’t take long for me to decide I was interested. This is my first Colson bike.

Less than 2 weeks to get her ready, the goal is to take this old girl to CycloneCoaster’s November ride featuring the “Double Bar” bikes along with our Schwinn version.

01 Double Bar bikes at SF Ride.jpg

01a My first Colson.jpg

Well between re-roofing our 1930s 2 car detached garage, not yet done waiting for metal trim, and working on this Colson in the evenings in preparation for this weekend’s CycloneCoaster ride, she’s close to being ready. She didn’t come with drop stand, saddle, bars, missing badge, and front fender light, so one by one I eventually got all the parts I needed.

Forks straightened

After removing all the reflective tapes on the fork and fenders, I noticed the fork blades were not aligned. Took it to a local bike shop that I visit often, selling vintage and new bikes, but they don’t straighten forks. Then just down the road from our home, a shop that’s been around a long time selling mostly new bikes, they said that they would give it a go, but because it’s old, no guarantee. I just told them to do the best they can; it’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better than before.

02 Removing reflective stickers.jpg

02a Removing reflective stickers.jpg

02b Removing reflective stickers.jpg

02c Removing reflective stickers.jpg

02d Removing reflective stickers.jpg

Frame repairs

The seller had informed me beforehand of evidence of repairs at the BB, but decided let’s just go for it anyway; it was a good deal for an original paint, almost complete prewar double bar Colson. Plus I love the black and cream color combo. Looks like the repair was done a long time ago, and most importantly, the frame seems very straight.

Removing paint

Removed the silver paint from the drop stand and crank. The results, a super nice Colson drop stand, and I like the patina on the cranks.

3a Removing silver paint from drop stand.jpg

3b Results, removing silver paint from drop stand.jpg

3c Results, removing silver paint from drop stand.jpg

3d Results, removing silver paint from crank.jpg

Colson Badge

Because it was missing a badge, I bought the Packard badge that Mike advised me to get. It was super nice of Ed to include a secondary Colson badge. I placed the Packard badge on first, but then closer inspection, I can barely see the outline of the original badge, and it happened to be the second badge included. Perfect.

4a Colson Badges.jpg

4b Colson Badges.jpg

Front Torpedo light

Trying to get her done and complete, I was going to use this 3 rib torpedo light that I got from Jim @JAF/CO last year and have a good friend/Caber from Texas give it an aged look, but being a ’36, didn’t think they came with a 3 rib. I have an original front load torpedo that I thought of first, but it has the single large stud, and the fenders for this Colson has a 2 stud front loader light. I would have had to drill another hole. I was close to doing that, again so I can have a fender light for the Cyclone ride. Then Todd @srfndoc was selling a cool old sweaty front loader recently. I inquired, and he gave me a super deal on the light, I mean a really good deal. It’s awesome when one member helps out another and returns the favor. Thanks Todd; appreciate you. This light works well on our Colson.

6b Torpedo front loader.jpg

6c Torpedo front loader.jpg

Trusses or no Trusses

I wanted trusses for this bike. Why? Because I just think the bike looks better with them then without. Was going to acquire a ladies trusses from a Shelby from a friend/Caber in Oregon, but didn’t come with the Mickey Mouse headset bracket, and I would have to cut it down and re-thread. Did a couple of wanted ads out there, but no response. I was tempted to get beater bike at a swap just to get the trusses, but then decided not to; it was also a Shelby. Then I see this fork and truss on eBay, advertised as a Hawthorn fork. The fork and truss rod bracket is similar to what is on our ’37 Rollfast. The difference are the trusses, which were similar in style to other makes including Colson. So I went for it knowing that I was only going to use the Mickey Mouse headset bracket and the trusses. And like the prewar Schwinn DX bikes, (I have one) that particular model doesn’t use truss rod brackets or truss arms on the fork. So I thought, “Why not do the same here with this Colson.” And that’s what I did. Not quite the same, but close, as what a ’36 Colson trusses would look, which is tighter to the headset and fork, but no doubt a similar style. Plus looks better with them IMO. I’ll still keep an eye out for correct ’36 Colson trusses, but for now, this works. I like the way it came out.

5 Hawthorn fork and trusses. jpg.jpg

5a trusses.jpg

5b trusses.jpg

5c trusses.jpg

Original triple drop center wheels

Wheelset came with New Departure rear and Colson front hub. Broke down the rear hub, and looks like the guts are in really good shape, races, bearings, and cones. If the internals were not, I would have broken it down and put in an overhauled Morrow hub. Front hub could use new cones though, but in the meantime, just replaced the bearings.

Mr Gary Quail came up and spent some time in Auburn and here in Sacramento. After I had cleaned up both hubs, he took care of trueing up the triple drop centers. It’s been a long time since he had done one of these wheels before. Didn’t matter, he’s good at what he does, and the wheels turned out great. Removed a couple of spokes so that he can use his brute strength to remove a flat spot. I love the patina on these wheels.

7a Original wheels.jpg

7b trueing the original wheels.jpg

8c rear ND hub.jpg

8d, Colson front hub.jpg

Chainguard

After consulting with Mr. Colson himself, I was talking with Mike and more than likely this old girl didn’t come with a chain guard. But you know me. Like our ’36 Schwinn DcurvedBR with her flat braced narrow fenders, probably didn’t come with a chain guard. I put one on anyway. I decided to do the same with this Colson with flat braced narrow fenders. At Jim’s @JAF/CO meet last month, I bought a couple of prewar chain guards, a very straight and crusty ’35-’36 Schwinn hockey stick, and this one for the Colson, similar style but with the holes. Nice and sweaty, and best of all, hardware intact and super straight. Thank you Jim for selling this to me.

9 chain guard.jpg

Last edited:
Back