When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson project, show me your Colson Project!!!

-
Two questions. 1) What can you tell me about the feather chain guards on Colson bikes? Did they come on a particular year or model. The Colson experts tell me my snap tank was built in June 1940
2) Did Colson's come with springer forks like the one on Rick Whitehurst bike? See his post above.
That bike is a mix of parts, a custom "rat" build. I believe Colson first came out with a "cushioner" fork in'41 offered on their new looptail frames.
full?d=1496250637.jpg

I believe that the last year of the feather chain guard was 1937, your bike should have a turkey wing. The "cushioner", Colson's version of the springer, was introduced in 1941 on their new loop tail frame model. Here is a photo that shows the proper guard for your bike & what the Colson cushioner looks like. Do not use this example for any other comparisons of correctness.

fullsizeoutput_351.jpeg

Tho most 38's came with the new "turkey wing" or "eyebrow" guard, I have seen several originally equipped with the older feather guard.

Ladies 1939 24" still sporting the feather guard
full?d=1493831205.jpg

Thanks Mike. I will order the book. Now I need to find someone to trade my feather guard for a turkey wing guard. Thanks, Jim

IMG_8231.JPG
What is the correct front stem for my 40 Colson snap tank? The Caber that traded me the bike gave me a couple of different ones.

Reactions: JLF
View attachment 667728 What is the correct front stem for my 40 Colson snap tank? The Caber that traded me the bike gave me a couple of different ones.
Pretty sure Colson had fazed out their own stem by then. Most likely yours came equipped with a WALD #3 reverse knuckle stem. I have one for sale if you're interested. I'll resend pics of those other items as soon as I get home.
img_2581-1-jpg.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Back