When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson project - What would you do?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lamendes

Look Ma, No Hands!
This past fall I picked up this Colson/Firestone Flying Ace as a winter project. My plan was to remove the over-paint and hopefully find some decent original paint.

I am finding 3-4 coats of paint over the original and I'm getting mixed results with the removal using Goof-Off and laquere thinner. I thought the tank came out pretty well considering.

I had a hard time saving the white highlights on the chainguard, but I can almost talk myself into liking the patina/shabby look.

In the last pix of the fender you can see the layers of paint I'm trying to remove and that I'm not able to save much of the original. So the question is, am I nuts to keep trying to save the original paint? I don't think I'm up for a full restore, but would consider a bare metal look. What would you do?

Attachments

• 20141122_143857.jpg
    20141122_143857.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 355
  • 20150307_152032.jpg
    20150307_152032.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 20150311_152439.jpg
    20150311_152439.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 20150312_144012.jpg
    20150312_144012.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 358
I like the paint remnant look more than bare metal but that's a miserable process and I wouldn't have the patience for it. Nice work though

The patina/shabby look on the tank & fender is looking good so far. I'd keep at it, see what it finishes up at & you can always take it to the next level. Either bare metal or full restore. Anyway you go, you have a great bike, good luck w/ it.

I understand what you're saying, and although you may end up with an uneven finish, you'll probably still end up with a very cool looking bike if you persist. Although weak in the fenders and possibly the frame, the original color on all parts should play off each as being from the original bike (which hopefully they are). I say go for it!

I would continue.If you dont like the results just rattle can it.lol

I just started the same process on a Colson version (I haven't seen many of the colson, most are Firestone/Goodyear) that someone made a Christmas bike (the frame & fork are og green paint with wt darts & blk pin striping ) so I think its worth it but this red paint is tuff & tried everything ending with lacquer thinner witch started to eat the og green so I stopped, and haven't had the patience to finish (and after cancer from breathing that stuff for 30 yrs.) don't know if I feel smelling any more of that stuff and my let it go down the road for somebody else to finish so check your patience.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 351
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Keep going ... it simply takes time - a well ventilated work area - time & oh more time ..... a shabby original is still much better than what it was ... keep us posted - Ride Vintage - Frank

Below is my RMS supreme tank - many hours of "Goofing Off" ....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks great Frank but some paint seems to be tougher than others, I tried goof off and even let it sit with a soaked rag overnight and nothing that why I ended up with lq thinner and that was too strong.

Back