When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I read some where that the front fork tubes on men's bikes and ladies bikes are different in length.
If so, by how much and why are they different?
Are the headtubes different in length?

Thanks
JD

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

I don't know what the difference in length on Colsons were but most or all prewar manufacturers had longer headtubes on ladies bikes. It was to make them more structurally sound. You've got a men's bike with two bars running across the top of the bike, bracing the front end to the seat tube.. that's pretty rigid. A step-through frame on the other hand, has a big open gap there, with two tubes coming up from the bottom.. not as rigid. So they add the extra two inches or so to improve the leverage of the frame so it doesn't buckle. Everything cheapened after the war.

2" difference in length

Thanks Jason.

So when buying parts such as a fork assy the girl's fork is ok when a men's fork is not available.
Versus buying a men's fork and trying to fit to a girls frame as it wouldn't be long enough.

Girls forks are more desirable as it can be cut (shortened 2") and rethreaded for a men's frame build, I'm guessing?

Thanks Jason.

So when buying parts such as a fork assy the girl's fork is ok when a men's fork is not available.
Versus buying a men's fork and trying to fit to a girls frame as it wouldn't be long enough.

Girls forks are more desirable as it can be cut (shortened 2") and rethreaded for a men's frame build, I'm guessing?

Typically, yes, this is true in most cases. I don't know that they're more desirable, but they are certainly more flexible with their application. Not everybody has a fork die and it's still easier to just get the right size to start. Just watch out with truss rods and springers, some can be made to work and others will simply not.

Typically, yes, this is true in most cases. I don't know that they're more desirable, but they are certainly more flexible with their application. Not everybody has a fork die and it's still easier to just get the right size to start. Just watch out with truss rods and springers, some can be made to work and others will simply not.

I'll second that. I found a perfect patina'd red knee action fork to match my '52 straight bar men's frame, but it was obviously off a women's bike. The price was right so I decided to give it a try, but both the fork blades and trusses are longer to match the taller steerer tube. I have seen the same issue when measuring out truss rod forks. A standard fork can easily be cut and threaded.

I was under the impression colson head tubes are the same. I asked the same question when i bought struts for my girls colson. I will check tonite when i get home, i have a boys and girls from 1940.

This is why we're here...to learn. I think it is interesting that there are folks willing to say what they think. Sure it can be confusing at times but opinions from those in the know is what investigations are all about.
Damn I love this hobby and really appreciate the feedback.

Anyone else....let's not let this stop here.
Maybe a picture comparison of the fork tube length variation and as well as the truss rod length differences. Not that I'm asking someone to teardown their bikes for this project comparison.

Yes, they are both 5.5" in length. These are both 1940.

Attachments

• DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 91
Ok now I am confused.
Your 40s examples have no variances in headtube length, which means the fork tubes are the same length?

Perhaps the earlier prewar 30s models had differences in lengths?
I swear that somewhere I read that the girls fork tubes were longer and when parted for a men's bike the tubes were cut to fit and rethreaded.

I think it dependson the manufacturer. The boys and girls Shelby Speedlines have different lengths for sure. Like an extra inch on the girls. Cwc also have different lengths too.

Back