When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Rear Steer Tandem Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JRuhlman

On Training Wheels
I have a Colson Rear-Steer Tandem bicycle (S/N 31442) - I am interested in what year this is (not having any luck finding a way to decipher - possibly 3/14/1942)? And am wondering if it is more valuable as-is or in the restored condition. Any advice you may have is greatly appreciated!

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

1938-39 to place a value is really dependant on how much your in love with it, restoring it if your not doing it yourself would probabely cost more than what someone would spend. I would give it a oxalic acid bath see how much original paint remains. The seats look to require either replacing or restoring there alone is $500 paint by a qualified hobbist from $500-$1500 depending upon whom and quality so using the medium of $1000, pedals/grips $400 and chrome another $2-300, tires and relace of spokes another $200. I think a good number to restore it is $2500.00 The starting as is value is $600-850. I have had many over years one original i bought and sold three times never fetching more than $1850 and it was a grade 8. The problem with these tandems is they are too large to ship and hard to transport to and from rides/events which make them a hard sell. I have never really seen one bring more than my estimate to restore it. It is worthy of saving if you and some gorgeous lady will really ride it, other than that the parts particularly the steering parts and guards might bring you what i estimate the current as is value.

Just being honest about how it works do what makes you happy if I was close since i love colsons and really have been thinking about getting a tandem i would make you an offer but rather spend the $1850 and get a really clean original.

The hobbiest here might differ with my estimate but unlikely to kick more than I have estimated for the bike as is or restored. Its a beauty anyway you decide to go.

Thank you so much for the information!! I think I will focus on making it a functional, a good representation of the original and look to sell it locally / regionally. That being said - I would like to know if there is any literature (MFG / marketing / etc...) out there on this particular 1938 - 1939 production of these bicycles..? How did you / do you interpret the serial number to get a MFG date range? Thanks again (in advance) for your input!!

There is johms colson book i think Scott got allmy original literature 20+years agp he may have made reproduction sales lit sm2501 .

That looks like a really interesting project.. I’ve been amazed at what can come back to life after evaporust baths or aluminum foil rubs if you’re patient.

The extra mechanical pieces on those tandems make them really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually found the S/N under the front crank case... Would this be indicative of anything special / noteworthy..?

IMG_2621.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Back