When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Snap Tank in progress......

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm vexed....I don't think the new guard is a McCauley wing guard as stated above by several members. Not trying to cause an uproar or refute this claim. I would just like to know for sure. Can you guys help me out, just for my future knowledge? I think it's a Shelby as well. It had two coats of house paint and under that was what I am sure were the remnants of factory white with blue pinstripes running down the fins. That would make it look exactly like multiple ones I have on Shelby originals I own and others I've seen. All McCauley guards I have seen have been stainless or chrome with no paint. I would just like to know..

PS - someone posted a really cool old catalog page that had a bunch of aftermarket guards and other parts. I saved the file somewhere but could not locate it tonight. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and could you post it if you have it? Thanks!
It's a McCauley as stated. Here's another original bike equipped with one. I believe the Island Cycle Supply shows it as an aftermaket add-on.
full?d=1453332338.jpg

And another Shelby
full?d=1453332180.jpg

Here's a chrome one that was added to my 37 at some point
13315741_1170938762959001_8054350826664374936_n.jpg

And a good friend's '41 DX with the same guard. Several have been found equipped with the same guard.

13445589_1185094064876804_210733229414240174_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have searched through every image folder I can think of and can not find that McCauley add someone posted within the last few years. Anyone out there have it and can share it again? I loved that ad and know I saved it....but where I do not know!

Just bought this old gal last night from a friend to have a boys/girls pair of Colsons for my wife and I. We liberated her several months ago from the attic of a building and other than the tank - which was purchased a few weeks ago from another friend - it looks to be all original. I haven't done a single thing to her yet and she is still covered with bird droppings and filth. I think she will clean up very nicely after a good rehab. I plan on leaving the patina but removing the filth.

BTW, anyone have any history on Simmons Hardware Store before I start digging on the internet?

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

@fordmike65

What can you tell me about the difference in these two quite similar guards? Both McCauleys? The first one is the one we've been speaking of which on this Colson but the other one I had always thought was a McCauley as well.

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

Just bought this old gal last night from a friend to have a boys/girls pair of Colsons for my wife and I. We liberated her several months ago from the attic of a building and other than the tank - which was purchased a few weeks ago from another friend - it looks to be all original. I haven't done a single thing to her yet and she is still covered with bird droppings and filth. I think she will clean up very nicely after a good rehab. I plan on leaving the patina but removing the filth.

BTW, anyone have any history on Simmons Hardware Store before I start digging on the internet?

View attachment 841143

View attachment 841144

View attachment 841145

View attachment 841146

View attachment 841147

View attachment 841148
That's a sweety. Nicely equipped too:cool:

Back