When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Speed Chief with JLO engine

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CeeBee

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone have any information on a JLO bicycle motor? I originally purchased it from the family of the original builder/owner, then sold it to Double Nickel, then acquired it back yesterday in a trade. I have found very little info at all and all the information regarding JLO bicycle motors I have found is in German. Anyone have any experience with one of these little guys?

Here it is as found a year or so ago:
20131008_182417_zps78e7a9bd-1.jpg

And here is how it came back the second time around:
20141012_132909_zpssr0asar6-1.jpg

20141012_132932_zpsgpru66md-1.jpg

20141012_133008_zpsaquxkgzn-1.jpg

I really do not remember seeing one

but I do not follow foriegn- there were MANY
does it have a clutch?

Sunbeam Tiger?

Last edited:
I've seen jlo motorbikes before, usually a step through moped style bike with the engine mounted near the bottom bracket. Your engine is a bit different than the usual ones I see. I'll try and dig up a pic today.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the handle on the left is a clutch handle that operates a motorcycle style cone clutch. It is very finicky, but currently is working. I need to figure out a more reliable way to adjust the cable at the handle end as it requires much more pulling force than a bicycle cable clamp usually is submitted to. It runs fair, but the carburetor has been replaced at some point and I believe it is too large for the displacement so I can't dial it in properly.
The back story from the original seller was that his uncle served in WW2, then was stationed in Germany through the early 50's. The speculation is that he already owned the '40 model Speed Chief prior to the war and had made a previous motorized version that utilized the flat mounting plate to hold a Briggs and Stratton or Maytag, etc. When he returned to the states he evidently brought the JLO motor home with him and turned it into the current version.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the handle on the left is a clutch handle that operates a motorcycle style cone clutch. It is very finicky, but currently is working. I need to figure out a more reliable way to adjust the cable at the handle end as it requires much more pulling force than a bicycle cable clamp usually is submitted to. It runs fair, but the carburetor has been replaced at some point and I believe it is too large for the displacement so I can't dial it in properly.
The back story from the original seller was that his uncle served in WW2, then was stationed in Germany through the early 50's. The speculation is that he already owned the '40 model Speed Chief prior to the war and had made a previous motorized version that utilized the flat mounting plate to hold a Briggs and Stratton or Maytag, etc. When he returned to the states he evidently brought the JLO motor home with him and turned it into the current version.

when you gonna buy my Speedi-bike motor? mr. bolt on motor.... :)

A Speedy-Bike Speed Chief does have a nice ring to it....

Sure! have a mill in the middle, one out back, and a Elgin/Muncie Cycle Motor up front. Then later you can hang a Smith/Briggs Motor wheel off the left rear, and an import motor in the front wheel. Maybe even squeeze a merkel off the rear axle?
The DMV would have a fit!

Back