When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson tandem chain length? P

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

izee2

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up a rather neglected 38 colson steer from da rear tandem. Missing the chain between the front and rear cranks. How many link chain is needed? What type of seats were on it?
0cf642ca3e713b0d8cdd0bc9a8b9781b.jpg

I couldn’t pass it up with them tassels dangling out front!!
Thanks for your help
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C=πd and figure you need half the length for chainwheel circumference and half for what cog you decide to use on the rear wheel. Then figure you need twice the length of the chainstay. Use the same method for the front chain drive.

Get 3 bike chains and cut of what you don't need to use. One for the back and 2 for the front. Good luck finding that much skip tooth chain and hold onto your heart when you see how expensive they are. Roger

Last edited:
Oh god..math!! Lol Off to get the calculator and tape measure. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet you could get higher accuarcy, but might be overkill, if you used the tangent and cosine function:
Calculate the length of the hypotenuse of a triangle,
First use
tanϴ= opposite side length/adjacent side length

to solve for the angle between hypotenuse and adjacent side (parallel to chain-stay, inverse function ). Your reference triangle is from the top of the cog and parallel to the chain-stay. The opposite side length is simply the difference in radius between cog and chainwheel.
Then,
cos ϴ= adjacent side length/hypotenuse length

and solve for hypotenuse length. Multiply this hypotenuse length by two, this is the length of chain needed between top and bottom between chainwheel and cog.
The front chain drive is easier to figure out.

giphy.gif

Back