When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson tricycle year?

-

jd56

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I picked this up for a friend and before I give it to him I would like to know what year it is.
This trike has been repainted red....was maroon with painted maroon wheels. Wheels with white pinstripes.
Daggum this bike is heavy. Has puncture proof hollow Goodyear tires on one rear and front. Both of those are split...must be at a seam.
The only stamping I can find under the house paint is the letter "E" on the underside of the downtube where it meets the rear axle framed tubing (not the rear axle shaft).
He is using it as a display for his bike shop.
Thanks in advance for any help on the year or where I can locate other stampings.
I didn't get a picture of the "E" stamping but here it is as I found it.

0a07f7cb4afdca3e5c62f74b475d82b7-1.jpg

d3ccf27470af1f49f6fb82876ace6d0a-1.jpg

499ccf36a5bf8bd5577779d701571f58-1.jpg

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Kind of hard to pinpoint a year with this model Colson. They used the same frame design for several years from the 40s to the 50s. If you can tell the original paint design, possibly you could get the approx. year from Colson catalogs, if available, since they did vary the paint scheme some years. It does appear to be missing the rear step plate and original spring saddle.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
It is missing the step plate. Didn't know they had a spring coiled seat for these toddler rides.

Wow...that's crazy money. But it is NOS as per the description.

Back