When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Tube and Slat rack installation

-

tjkajecj

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Received a Colson rack for a '37 double bar frame.
I thought you would just attach the rack clamp to seat post clamp, but the space is too wide between the rack clamp ears.
Paced some washers in between the seat post clamp and the rack clamp, but not an elegant solution.
Are these racks specific to different Colson bicycle models?
Looking at a few pictures it appears there are different attachment methods.
Most pictures are not of the clamp area, so difficult to tell.

Appreciate any thoughts or pictures.

Tim

1586193460112.png

Actually, yours looks right style-wise. The one on my '39 Colson fits on the outside of the seat post clamp without any spacers, so I don't know what is going on with your bike. Just out of curiosity though, is it going on a snap tank style frame?

Last edited:
Actually, yours looks right style-wise. The one on my bike fits on the outside of the seat post clamp without any spacers, so I don't know what is going on with your bike. Just out of curiosity though, is it going on a snap tank style frame?

No, it is a "37 double bar frame. Normal wheel base not a LWB model.
I just wonder if this rack clamp was meant for a '40 or '41 frame with the seat post spacer.
Wider seat post clamp???
Will check tonight.
Making a narrower clamp is not a big deal, just wasn't sure if that is how they are supposed to mount.

Tim

I thought you would attach the rack clamp to seat post clamp, but the space is too wide between the rack clamp ears.
U-shaped bracket. It's missing.
It does not look missing, (just a bit rusty); perhaps a picture of the candidate seat post clamp?
Not sure if the clamps on Colson frames were a bit squishy, prone to overtightening - yielding a heftier (wide) clamp in later years.

Maybe one the mating clamps just needs a little tweaking, with a hammer, to become larger or smaller?

Last edited:
Back