When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Whizzer

-

mrg

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Pulled out this Colson whizzer that I built 25-30 yrs ago to get ready to sell ( only putting air in the tires and wipe it down). I showed it at a couple of the last Whizz-ins in the 90's and never rode or even started it ( I had a couple of riders I still have ) and ended up stored in my moms garage for 20 yrs then mine for the rest. Couple of small things I didn't finish, I never figured out how to secure the front fender in the Whizzer springer fork, it had no mounting at the top where it would usually screw into the fork so it can move forward or back, didn't want a ugly bracket hanging down so was going to fabricate something to the sides of the fender, the other thing was how much travel do these forks have because I only have about a inch clearance to where I put the brake arm clamp. another thing I'm kinda bummed about now but didn't even think about it way back then, I repainted a NOS maroon Whizzer springer fork ( I still have the box somewhere ), why didn't I just aint a used one, I guess it was easier, no bodywork or chrome to do, also last pic was my inspiration for the paint job, my OG 41 Colson camelback.

Last edited:
Ya, I was thinking I could do something with a cleaner look, maybe some little rubber bushings on the sides but think I'll let the new owner figure that out.

Standard option front drum for all non Schwinn bikes of the era, SA.

do you have a picture of the other side? I recently picked up a bike with super duper heavy duty wheels and a forebrake. it has a large flange on the non brake side. a little different than what you have.

Tried this quick fix for my front fender mount, used existing holes and a rear brake arm strap ( a little to shiny ) but fenders solid with no ugly mount between fork & fender, I don't know how much travel these forks have? but think I better figure a different way to mount brake arm, I hate to do any cutting so maybe bend the tab down & gain another inch. looks like I also need a longer axle before any hard riding.

Back