When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Archbar lightweight?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@bon I noticed your profile mentioned Philippines, Is this bike there or the states? Maybe there was an export of Archbar lightweights at some point? Or as SirMike suggested possibly a rebranded bike? I feel like the headset and dropout shape are Westfield, but again could be wrong.

You have quite a mystery. This is an unusual looking frame. There is no provision for set screws in the rear forks? All of the lightweight Columbias from the '40s I've seen have set screws. And the ends of the seat stays look different from the "pinched end" style you see on the Sports Roadsters and Tourists. That serial number on the rear drop would indicate 1949, but that seems very late for an Arch Bar frame with old-style rear forks. And the early lightweights I've seen had the serial on the bottom bracket. Is it possible that the frame is another brand and someone added that badge later on?
Badge looks to be original and never added. Yes its quite a mystery indeed, I'm thinking the front triangle is a surplus from the prewar Archbars they have laying around after the war and probably just added the rear triangle from a Tourist/Roadster? Those rear drop outs without the screws were used by Columbia after the war. I have a '48 just like those, and have seen many just like it.View attachment 1352551

@bon I noticed your profile mentioned Philippines, Is this bike there or the states? Maybe there was an export of Archbar lightweights at some point? Or as SirMike suggested possibly a rebranded bike? I feel like the headset and dropout shape are Westfield, but again could be wrong.
Yes I'm from Philippines and the frame is from there too. I'm not sure about the export thing because it is the first one i've seen. I have a couple of the prewar Archbars/Roadsters and i'm thinking of adding this frame to the mix.

Might be a Westfield 1934-M; perhaps you might report to the moderators to move the thread to the antique or general sections?
The fork looks in remarkable shape compared to the pitted frame; so perhaps it was replaced at some time?

Yes I'm from Philippines and the frame is from there too. I'm not sure about the export thing because it is the first one i've seen. I have a couple of the prewar Archbars/Roadsters and i'm thinking of adding this frame to the mix.
The late Phil Scott (@shoe3, RIP) posted a photo in the previously mentioned thread.....

.....of another example seen in the Philippines, post #72

Perhaps it was an export market for US and possibly French manufacturers. I say French, as the example in his post has a very 'Labor' like fork crown.

Back