When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Chainless with Wrong Badge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I bought this bike recently. The badge says Model 50 but I believe that number was for a mens bike. Also there appears to be a ghost image of a taller badge. It has the "trophy fork" so that means it's 1898-1899, right? It still has all its ball-end spokes. I thought the hub would be a fixie and was surprised to find it has a freewheel, which I found puzzling because there's no evidence of an original spoon brake. After a closer look I'm now wondering if it has a coaster brake that's not working. I see no evidence (like bolt holes for example) that it originally had a rear fender.

So here are my questions: 1. Which year and model is it? 2. What's going on with the freewheel and lack of period correct brake? 3. Did it originally have a rear fender?

Thanks,
-B 20180915_164159.jpg

20180915_164209.jpg

20180915_164217.jpg

20180915_164517.jpg

20180915_164348.jpg

Brian that rear hub might be used with a spoon brake on the rear wheel It worked with a rod coming from a lever on rear hub to a brake set up infront of rear wheel. Is there any markings from the brackets on rear stays behind seat down tube.

The badge says Model 50 but I believe that number was for a mens bike. Also there appears to be a ghost image of a taller badge.

Hi Brian, you probably have noticed, but the badge (original or not, I don't know about model numbers from this period), has certainly been worked on atsome point in its life. The crosshead screw holding it on is totally incorrect for the period. A replacement badge would explain your observations.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Brian, You are correct to point out that Model 50 is the men's bike. Model 51 is the lady's version. Both models are 1898. The 1899 lady's chainless is model 60. I think what you have however is a later model possibly 1900-1904. Both 1898 and 1899 models still used studs on the hubs for direct pull spokes. Unfortunately I don't have Columbia catalogs for the later years to determine what year the ball end spokes started. But I believe the spoke pattern on your bike will be the clue to determine what year it is.
If your bike has an early coaster brake in the hub, it is an entirely different arrangement from later coasters such as New Departure. There are 4 steel balls that are gravity fed into a clutch system that provide the braking power. So if someone had this hub apart and put it back together using grease, the balls will not drop down which will cause the free wheeling. Possibly, the balls are not even in the hub. You can only use oil on the rear hub.
Originally the bike had a wood rear fender laced with an ornate pattern of string for skirt protection.
The rims were originally enameled black with gold striping.
If the bike originally had a plunger type brake on the front wheel, the brake handle pivot was located close to the handlebar lug. There should also be some evidence for attaching a pivot underneath the fork head.

Thanks everyone for such great info. Dave, I had seen duck brakes before but it never occurred to me that this bike might have had that setup. I couldn't see the forest through the trees as they say. It has very slight marks on the chainstays but they're not obvious enough to make a definite conclusion. Craig's explanation of a hub brake is a possibility. I'd have to take the hub apart to see unless someone can tell the difference from the outside appearance of the hub.

As for the badge and year, it looks like it had an American Bicycle Co. badge with the additional upper section like the photo below. With the trophy fork, i wonder if we can decide it's most likely a late 1899 or early 1900? When did they stop the trophy fork and stop the ABC badge?
IMG_3580.JPG

I have a picture of the brake I was talking about but am not home yet. Be home in couple of days.

it's called the "Hartford Coaster" or the "Columbia Tire Coaster"
it's well documented on The Cabe, comes up with a simple search
I have 3 Columbia chainless with that hub and spoon brake set-up
my Mens' are model 59 and 74, my ladies is being repainted, and the badge is off the bike (can't find it!!! freaking out)
1900-01 coaster brake_LI.jpg

1900-01 coaster brake1.jpg

1900-01 coaster brake 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Max, so do you recognize my hub - is that what I have?

hard to tell from your picture
does your hub have that extra loop to attach the brake wire?
the red arrow, in the picture I posted, points to the clue to your answer

not all coaster brakes had the brake arms, just think of the very early CCM Hercules hubs for example.

But my guess is that they added the front Philco brake (not designed to be used on a wood rim) because they had lost the ability to brake using the rear hub So something is probably missing!

Front rim might be a replacement, the spokes don't seem welded like the spokes on the rear rim, and there doesn't seem to be any extra wear from the brake pads (compared to the rear rim)

as far as a rear fender, it probably had one.
they used a clip on the ones that I have seen

columbia.jpg

columbia2.jpg

columbia4.jpg

Last edited:
Back