When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia info, please, actually is a Manton & Smith bike

-

marius.suiram

I live for the CABE
Any info about the bike is welcome.

20200303_200339.jpg

20200303_200345.jpg

20200303_200356.jpg

20200303_200442.jpg

20200303_200401.jpg

20200303_200502.jpg

20200303_200546.jpg

Last edited:
That bike is a "Columbia" in name, but it was produced by Manton & Smith - that's what the M&S Co. strike on the rear dropout means. The paint scheme is Manton in style for the 1940s era, and the frame has that peculiar "very laid back" angle that Manton used in that era. Does it appear the badge is original or is something someone added later? It's not a Westfield-produced frame, and I'm not sure whether Manton & Smith produced bikes under the Columbia badge. Someone who knows Columbia's production and contracting practices in that era would know.

Those fenders do look like the low-profile variant that Westfield and Elgin bikes had on some models in the 1940s. There's another variation of fenders with a shark's fin profile front fender as well, but this is the low profile, rounded version you sometimes see.

I owned a similar bike at one time that was red in color, and had over-the-top paint scheme. It had no badge when I got it. Really interesting bikes.

Have you ridden it yet? The frames are not very tall, but have a very "long" and "stretched out" feel because of the very laid back frame angles. Some people love them, but I couldn't get used to the "long and low" feel compared to a Raleigh or Schwinn New World. The paint schemes from Manton in that era are great, and have that over-the-top quality to them.

It makes sense the badge was added - I have not seen a Columbia badged Manton & Smith of this type. The Manton is scarcer. Very laid back frame angles and interesting paint schemes used. They're nice bikes, but it's sort of a "love it or hate it" type thing with that frame design. The wood grips may be a WWII era piece or maybe a leftover right after the war.

Back