When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia locking fork timeline

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fat tire trader

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello,
Does anyone know when Columbia started making locking (non springer forks) and when they stopped. Are they all the same or are the different ones?
Thanks,
Chris

The Protecto lock was introduced for the 1948 model year on non springer forks. They were offered until at least 1957. I think they were all the same for the entire production.

The springer fork was not introduced until October of 1948 in sales flyers and showed up on the 1949 model years. They were available until 1961.

Thanks! Did they need special headset cups or a special frame?

No. They fit the standard ballooon tire Columbia frame used at the time like was used on the 3 and 5 stars.

Protecto-Lock.jpg

Protecto-Lock.jpg

The only problem I've seen with fit is using one of the springer forks from the RX-5 Repro on an original frame. Sometimes the locking cam does not line up correctly with the frame tube and needs to be filed down in spots.

Thanks a lot. I'm bringing this fork that I have into my local lock smith today to see if he can cut a key for it.

Thanks! Did they need special headset cups or a special frame?

There is an insert in the bottom tube for the lactch to catch. So there isn't a lot of play in it. You don't have to have it in your frame for it to work. But it makes the lock work better.

Hello Chris....the Columbia locking fork you have for sale ....would the lock work for a Columbia 5 star...I have a wanted ad for a lock for 5 star...

Back