When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia 'Military Model' Specifications

-

Mercian

I live for the CABE
Hi All,

I've been working on some of the details of the Columbia 'Military Model' for a while now.

Below is a table for discussion (I'm sure I've made errors, or others here have better information) on the specification of the 'Military Model'. I'm happy to consider any changes that you suggest.

We also know that Westfield produced the design proposal to the QM request within a week, so this implies that a lot of the parts were 'off the shelf'. The column marked '1918 Models' is where I have seen Westfield produced bicycles with similar or the same parts or designs in the 1917 produced cataloge, so contemporary with the 'Military Model' proposal.

Best Regards,

Adrian

1587047806833.png

Hi All,

Thanks for the positive reaction.

I must emphasise, this is not gospel, it is a first draft so that we can discuss and improve it with your help. It may be that there are variations between the three contracts for Columbia's that we can pin down.

For example,

The front axle is described as 'Pope Concave'. I' don't know what this is, but I guess would be a standard Pope item. Does anyone have pictures of a late teens hourglass shaped hub? We know from several surviving examples that a straight, unmarked 'big barrel' hub was used, similar to the WW2 Eclipse hub. Did this replace the concave hub early on? Was the concave hub no good in the application, which is why you don't see them at all? Does anyone know who made the straight hub? (Can anyone sell be one (-; ).

possibly the concave one in Redline's post 14 here?:

The early pedals are 'Standard N°4 Rat Traps', and this is confirmed in period photos, and by at least one surviving bike. However, other photos show white rubber blocked pedals, or the frames of rubber blocked pedals. Again, maybe an early/late thing, or a change due to shortages. With rubber blocked pedals, the Star toe clips would not have been usable, so vanished. (I'm still looking for these clips too (-: )

Serge has said that he knows of two WW1 1918 bikes in France with original pedals of type N°5 PIRATE with black rubber.

1587113995804.png

Credit: Hoofhearted

1587113372572.png

Photo: Wing your Heel

The colour is described as 'Regulation OD, striped double black lines'. I've looked at mine with very worn paint, and can't see any striping. It's not evident on period pictures. Has anyone seen examples of it? Perhaps it was something they started with, then realised it was an unnecessary process?
Comments / observations welcome.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hello Adrian;
First of all, superb study :smileycat:
For the pedals, the 2 bikes of "wing our wheels", the USA748 and the USA2715 are mounted with STANDARD n°3

USA748

(courtesy: Wing your Hell)

For the tool bag, i think your rating is not good, on spec. contracts from Oct. 1917 is just mentionned the TROXEL tool bag wich is all in leather.

On the other hand, the tool bag n°15 is there PERSON which it has the metal ends

For the grips, i noticed that they were 2 colors: gray and black.

USA748 in black.

(courtesy: Wing your Hell)

Polish soldier 1918, grips colors gray and STANDARD n°4 pedals

(courtesy: @hoofhearted )

For the striped double black lines, i've never seen.
A small stone to your building.
Regards;
Serge

Back